Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Order of the Rising Sun 4th Class

Article about: Hi Guys. I have not collected japanese medals until now, so I´m not a expert these medals. Yesterday I purchased my first one, but now I´m in doubt. Is this medal original? The ribbon is bro

?

Default Order of the Rising Sun 4th Class, Fake?

Hi Guys.

I have not collected japanese medals until now, so I´m not a expert on these medals. Yesterday I purchased my first one, but now I´m in doubt. Is this medal original? The ribbon is broken and dirty.
    What do you think about it?.
    Any comment is welcome.

The pics are from seller´s web.

Last edited by schum; 07-08-2016 at 01:54 PM.

?

It looks alright to me but wait for others to confirm as I'm also a bit of a novice. Fortunately Japanese medals are not copied or forged commonly.

Steve.

?

Hi Steve.

Thank you for your coments.
    I have been watching another similar medals and all of them have the Paulownia flowers with green stalks, but mine is only purple enameled.
    Is this normal? or is a variant?

Thanks in advance.

?

That's a very good point, I don't want to speculate, lets wait for someone better informed to comment.
    Steve.

That is clearly a fake. Totally wrong shape for the leaves, too, and the red center sun has no luster at all.
    See comparison photo below showing yours and two of mine. If you want to start collecting Japanese orders, buy them in the cases, as Japanese lacquer boxes will be too expensive for the fakers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Order of the Rising Sun 4th Class  

Is schum speechless with joy that I had to take a photo and spend time making a tutorial all for him? I had to interrupt my work on a new story to come to his aid, but I know better now.

?

I'll apologize for the earlier optimism, I am surprised that these awards are faked....but I suppose shouldn't be. Thanks for the wake up call and the education Nick.

Fakes must be coming into Japan now from China, as making fakes of current orders is illegal in Japan. They make most of the higher class orders now as fakes. Here is a Sacred Treasure 2nd class repro, which is fairly well made.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Order of the Rising Sun 4th Class   Order of the Rising Sun 4th Class  

?

Hi guys.

Thank you for your coments.
    I bought it paying by paypal, so I do not think I have trouble to get my money back.

Thank you again.

?

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Fakes must be coming into Japan now from China, as making fakes of current orders is illegal in Japan. They make most of the higher class orders now as fakes. Here is a Sacred Treasure 2nd class repro, which is fairly well made.
    Thanks for the enlightenment Nick . It is quite scary , thinking into the future , when that Sacred Treasure 2nd class repro gains some natural patina !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast