Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original field cap? ... one for the experts please.

Article about: Hi all, this cap came into my possession a while ago along with some collar tabs. Being German and not a Japanese collector I will be moving it on but before doing so wanted to know a bit mo

Default Original field cap? ... one for the experts please.

Hi all, this cap came into my possession a while ago along with some collar tabs. Being German and not a Japanese collector I will be moving it on but before doing so wanted to know a bit more about it and make sure it was what I thought it to be - false advertising is not something I want to be accused of.

Firstly, the material is an unusual weave with thin threads traversing the other threads at 90 degrees ( at least I have not seen this type of weave before ).
    Also the sweat band is a woven type and quite thin - in fact, the whole cap seems a bit flimsy ..... either "last ditch" or training but sure wouldn't stand up to much hard handling. The chinstrap is also like cardboard and is certainly only decorative and not functional. Finally there is a character stamp on the inside crown ( at the rear ) .... I don't know what it means?

So, what do the Japanese WW2 experts think I have ... it looks and feels the part but to me is just so lightweight?

Regards, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original field cap? ... one for the experts please.   Original field cap? ... one for the experts please.  

Original field cap? ... one for the experts please.   Original field cap? ... one for the experts please.  

Original field cap? ... one for the experts please.   Original field cap? ... one for the experts please.  

Original field cap? ... one for the experts please.  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hello Dan,the Kanji stamped inside appears to be the character for 小 chiisai meaning "Small"

Regards,Geoff

MAP
    ?

Dan,

I have seen this type of cap before. I can't remember with certainty (just turned 50 3 days ago so I guess the memory is already fading) but I think it is a very late war economy production.

No help at all I know but sure others will be around. And happy to have my memory correct if I'm wrong.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks guys!! ....here are the collar tabs I got with it.

Geoff - yes that would make sense as it is certainly small.

Michael - I'm past 55 now so the memory just gets more vague, sorry ....... good thing is that you discover new things all over again, LOL.

It looks unissued to me and no wear at all so very late in the war makes a lot of sense.

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original field cap? ... one for the experts please.  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

MAP
    ?

Well that's one way of looking at it...lol

Sure the tabs are ok, but look different in construction ( primarily the stars) from the ones I have on my uniforms...will have to dig mine out and compare.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Sorry, but it is no army cap, but a civilian cap with a star added after the war.

Nick is right..Civil cap 'jazzed' up...collar tabs dont seem right either mate

MAP
    ?

Thanks Nick/Wizardman.

I was unsure and glad it is cleared up (for me at least). I know I've seen this type before but could not place if it was legit or not...oh that memory...

And agree, the tabs look odd as well.

The tabs were post war assembled by cutting up original tape strips that came on the market in the early 80s. They cut it in the wrong place as the stars were supposed to be centered. These woven style of tabs came out as prototypes in May of 1939, what German collectors call BEVO style. First I will show you the army spec drawings for your Bevo tabs. These spec sheets were for quality checks in the factory, so yours would have flunked the inspection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original field cap? ... one for the experts please.  

Now I will show you the same factory inspection spec drawings for the field cap and a 1943 example to show what it looked like in real life. Note the 5 rows of sewing lines under the visor and the thread loops on the side for the neck flaps to be hung from. Also the two boxes of markings that show production year and issuing depot, etc. Your cap is not even close.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original field cap? ... one for the experts please.   Original field cap? ... one for the experts please.  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast