Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Original Japanese Officer Sword?

Article about: Greetings all, Upcoming auction item. Apologies for the poor quality pics, this house needs a new photographer but there have been a few jewels in the rough. Anything obvious here? Or is it

The shape of the blade and the nakago would indicate a blade made in the 17th-18th century. It is most likely 17th c. as sword making fell off in most of the 18th c. due to lack of demand for new blades as there was no war. The blade is likely par of a multiple order for blades from a daimyo for his samurai. That would indicate the lack of a signature. More exact information can only be determined by a hands on examination by an individual of very advanced knowledge.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

MAP
    ?

Is it worth a restoration or polishing Bob?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

[QUOTE=MAP;1658927]Is it worth a restoration or polishing Bob?[/
    I believe the cost of polish and shirasaya would be more than the blade is worth. An unsigned blade will always be a mystery to whom the sword maker is. Even without shinsa, the cost would likely be around $5000. The blade might also need a new habaki uping the investment around another $600-$800. It likely is better to leave it as is.
    BOB

Bob, a great many thanks for your input.

I've been so busy with work and children's parties I have not had much time to enjoy my first Japanese blade! I'm absolutely thrilled it looks to be an antique blade! I feel the condition is somewhat more acceptable and will certainly give the piece a lot more care than the previous owners.

I'm a little relieved a polish is not recommended. This was my most expensive acquisition to date, and I doubt my wife would be accommodating in the least if I started to discuss a professional polish. - Very happy to leave it as is.

May I ask what would be the best oil to apply to the blade? I use gun oil on my bayonets but feel something more natural may be more appropriate?

The Japanese use oil of clove on their blades. You can purchase it from Bob Benson of Bushido Antiques in Hawaii. Here is his web site: Bushido Antique Japanese Swords - Home
    BOB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3