Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

The pacific war causes

Article about: On August 1, 1941, the United States blocked oil sales to Japan the same as the Dutch indies, Japan responds with two diplomatic interventions that bring the United States under pressure eve

?

Default The pacific war causes

On August 1, 1941, the United States blocked oil sales to Japan the same as the Dutch indies, Japan responds with two diplomatic interventions that bring the United States under pressure even to the British and Australians to give an answer that sounds more like an ultimatum , did Japan really want this war or was it forced by the embargo? At the time, Japan was already exhausted by the Chinese conflict to start another war?

An answer with a lot of documents quoted by Nick would be an interesting way to see the Japanese point of view

Thanks

That theme does not really belong in this forum for militaria. I would suggest you put it up in the Axis History Forum. They have Japanese members there, who might give you what you seek. Sorry, but I have no interest in participating in such a discussion.

Hi Nick No worries ..Im in the outfield waiting to see a home run or the ball drop shallow.
    The thread is being watched
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

Well, you can go back further than this event. Was it the Japanese being upset at not having a bigger say in the terms during the Treaty of Versailles and not getting a piece of China to expand their own "Empire"? Or what caused the US to block oil sales ....or we can ask...who really started WW1, the Germans? Or was caused by the French/English trying to stop them from expanding.

My point is that this is a debate without an answer and will only increase tensions in a forum like setting. Every action causes a reaction, so you can go further and further back in time as events unfolded, sometimes hundreds of years. So as Nick said, is this really a topic for WRF where we study items and not politics? Not saying it isn't an interesting discussion, just not for here.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Could have been revenge for the the US sending Matthew Perry into Tokyo Bay in 1853. Japan wanted to be left alone? Just a crazy thought and a long one.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Could have been revenge for the the US sending Matthew Perry into Tokyo Bay in 1853.
    Marty

In reality you are not that far off Marty. Once shown the might of industrialized imperialistic power via gunboat diplomacy, why wouldn't a historically feudalistic society emulate that might and become imperialistic itself?

The below line of thinking expressed in the famous quote - is and was - certainly true of all nations and people in general, and especially true in regards to imperial powers.

"We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow". Henry John Temple Palmerston, Remarks in the House of Commons, March 1, 1848.