Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Perhaps a pinned thread on Japanese swords

Article about: Every week on the forum there is at least one new post surrounding the Japanese sword, either asking for translation or authentication. So I propose just like the kar98 thread in world firea

?

Default Perhaps a pinned thread on Japanese swords

Every week on the forum there is at least one new post surrounding the Japanese sword, either asking for translation or authentication. So I propose just like the kar98 thread in world firearms section that here in the Japanese militaria section there should a thread purely dedicated to the Japanese sword, Nihonto or otherwise.

You might ask why don't you just right it yourself?, Firstly I don't know nearly enough to be telling people what is right and what isn't, in case I am incorrect, but I will help when I can. Secondly following the links provided you have the potential to learn from people who know what they are talking about. For example 1 year ago I knew nothing of Japanese swords accept that I wanted one and now look I am writing a thread about them

In this section you can find the terminology used when describing the Japanese sword or its fittings, a perfect place to start your research if you are a beginner or wanting to learn more about swords. Firstly you will need to know the basic terminology when it comes to describing a sword properly.
    Please view the pictures below.

A BEGINNERS GUIDE

All the information is out there, so think as this thread as a portal into the sword of Japanese swords

Sword making eras A Brief Introduction To Japanese Sword Making Eras

Nihonto ratings Nihonto Ratings

Information on IJA Guntos in detail Military Swords of Imperial Japan (GuntM)

Japanese Military swords and terminology JAPANESE MILITARY SWORDS - I

Arsenal tang stamps Ryujin Swords

WW2 era Swordsmiths OSHIGATA OF JAPANESE SWORDSMITHS OF THE SHOWA (WW II) ERA, WWII Japanese Swordsmiths

The type 95 NCO gunto IJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info

So there it is a list of websites that hold valuable knowledge when it comes to researching Japanese swords, I hope this thread is a good resource to the forum and many people will learn from these sites. Also if you have any sites that are useful please leave a link to them.

There are many knowledgeable people on this forum (who know alot more than me) so please add any and all information you can. Arigatōgozaimasu ありがとう ございます.

Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Perhaps a pinned thread on Japanese swords   Perhaps a pinned thread on Japanese swords  

Perhaps a pinned thread on Japanese swords   Perhaps a pinned thread on Japanese swords  

Sounds good to me!...

?

Seems like Bob posted something to this effect a few years ago.

This could work when it comes to military mounts and descriptions of the various parts of a sword. There is no way that judgement and appreciation of true Nihonto can be achieved through an Internet thread. Sword study can only be learned by hands on examination under the direction of a knowledgable teacher. Individuals who believe they can learn Japanese sword appreciation just from pictures are fooling only themselves. The way to learn is through study in Japan itself. Outside Japan, there are the gun show "experts" who have a little knowledge and much misinformation. In the Western world, there are many false sensei. So we must differentiate between military swords and true Nihonto.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thanks for your input Bob, I guess since this is a militaria forum we should stick to Military swords.

Quote by MilitariaCollector View Post
    Thanks for your input Bob, I guess since this is a militaria forum we should stick to Military swords.
    I don't think that is qiute what Bob meant in his post. I believe he meant that there is so much variation in non-military swords that a pinned thread would not be of much help in this area.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)