Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Picked up a Japanese WWII Airman flag?

Article about: Hello fellow Forumers, Would like your knowledge on this flag to identify that is it a Airman flag? Some translation on this flag would mean a great help to me... (not selling this flag, its

?

Default Picked up a Japanese WWII Airman flag?

Hello fellow Forumers,

Would like your knowledge on this flag to identify that is it a Airman flag? Some translation on this flag would mean a great help to me...

(not selling this flag, its my personal collection)

Thank you.

The photos do not enlarge and are too small and unfocused to read properly.

Hi Jack..if you may..please take closeup photos..as the Japanese script is intricate and could be misinterpreted due to the font style.
    You wont get the correct translation.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Two mentions of the recipient’s radio waves ; e.g.: “Your radio waves flying over the Pacific Ocean....”

Let’s leave this to Nick ... to me a lot of the larger calligraphy looks to be done in a similar hand; Nick can give a better assessment after you post clearer images. The smaller calligraphy looks to be a different hand.

Still, when specific military occupations or units are mentioned on these flags, that just raises my level of concern.

— Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 10-18-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Change three to two mentions of radio waves

?

Hello Gentleman,

Sorry I use the Photo upload via this forum and did not notice that the picture actually are small,
    I will use another way to upload the picture, but it would trouble you to click into the picture and redirect to another website to view....

Next time, please upload as jpeg, not png, as I have to turn the photos around 360 degrees to read what shows upside down. Also only one photo made things totally legible and others were too out of focus to read the "small print". In the photos below, expanded to the required size, I indicated the messages I ignored, because of photo quality.

Otherwise what can be pieced together from the various messages are the following.

1. The flag was meant for a radio operator (several references to morse code keys, radio waves, radioed message about the enemy's defeat, etc)

2. His name was Ichiro Murayama (messages only refer to him as Ichiro, but his younger brother is signing in full name as Saburo Murayama)

3. He appears to have been a native of Kagoshima Prefecture, as one message is in that dialect

I suppose you latched onto the kanji for "Flying" and assumed an aviation context, but here we are talking about "flying radio messages". Such kanji would often appear in aviation unit names, but as overt references to units were strictly forbidden on these flags, aviation related words are used in another context most of the time. Rather, euphemisms like 荒鷲、(wild eagles, meaning ace pilots) are what you need to look for.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Picked up a Japanese WWII Airman flag?   Picked up a Japanese WWII Airman flag?  

Picked up a Japanese WWII Airman flag?   Picked up a Japanese WWII Airman flag?  

?

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your effort even-though its my first time in taking such photo as well as posting it to the Forum.

I'm still learning along the way. Thank you for the jpeg, and png as I'm still learning the differences.
    will have it right nest time

anyway, thanks again for the translation...
    your assist made a great help in understanding on what I've collected/preserve.

thank you.