Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pith Style Civil Helmet

Article about: Hello all,I couldn't sleep so I thought I would post some photos of another helmet in my collection.This helmet is very similar to a Pith helmet, and seems to be made of a pressed cheeseclot

Default Pith Style Civil Helmet

Hello all,I couldn't sleep so I thought I would post some photos of another helmet in my collection.This helmet is very similar to a Pith helmet, and seems to be made of a pressed cheesecloth type of fabric perhaps combined with layers of paper and impregnated with some type of resin or lacquer.The liner and chinstraps are the typical late war type material attached to the shell with a staple and overall the quality is very poor.Of interest is the paper label glued to the underside rim.I suspect this is the information required by the Government which was used to control pricing and other standards on Civilian goods.(See Nick Komiya's pinned topic "War time labeling of Civilian Goods")I am hoping some of our talented translators can shed more light on the Kanji.This helmet weighs in at a mere 340 Grams which I believe puts it in a category relegated to the lowest levels with regard to quality and price. A testimony to the dire availability of materials at its time of manufacture.To me,although interesting, it is a sad reminder of a desperate production effort to postpone the inevitable.Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pith Style Civil Helmet   Pith Style Civil Helmet  

Pith Style Civil Helmet   Pith Style Civil Helmet  

Pith Style Civil Helmet   Pith Style Civil Helmet  

The label is a unit tag saying "Takahama 6th Section, 13th Group Observer" . There are many places named Takahama in Japan, but not enough clues to tell which one. 
    It must have been worn by an air raid warden.

Thank you Nick,I was wondering if most air raid wardens were uniformed ranks who were paid for their positions, or strictly volunteers who were unpaid or just given a token pittance. Regards,Geoff