Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Please Help: Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings

Article about: Question Regarding WWII NCO Shin-Gunto: I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question I have regarding a sword that I own. It is Type 95 with an aluminum tsuka. Serial number 11650

Default Please Help: Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings

Question Regarding WWII NCO Shin-Gunto:

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question I have regarding a sword that I own. It is Type 95 with an aluminum tsuka. Serial number 116501 with matching saya. Based on my research the sword meets all the criteria of an authentic with one exception which is confusing me and I was hoping you could answer a question for me or point me to the right resource to answer the question.

Essentially, the blade has the Nagoya factory stamp next to the serial number however the Fuchi appears to only have one stamping which is worn and appears to the the same Nagoya factory stamp. The serial number on the blade is also stamped so that it can be read when the blade is facing up as should be for a Nagoya sword. Most of my research for this type of sword shows three stamps on the fuchi (Arsenal, Inspection, Private Company) however this particular fuchi only has one marking. My question is, is it possible that the stamps all three stamps were never put on the fuchi or is this indicative of a fake. Everything else on the sword checks out. Any help you could provide would be a huge help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings   Please Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings  

Please Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings   Please Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings  

Please Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings   Please Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings  

Attached Images Attached Images Please Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings  Please Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings  Please Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings  Please Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings 

Default Re: Please Help: Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings

The [Na] refers to 名古屋 [Nagoya]; it's an arsenal mark.

That's all I am capable of doing -- I cannot assess value or authenticity.

Regards,
    --Guy

?

Hello Don,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting this most interesting sword.

Had the fuchi been one of the later iron types the absence of stampings would not be the least unusual but where the fuchi are not iron I have yet to come across one without at least the remnants of the three expected stampings.

So, what do you have? Well, I think it looks good in all respects but that one so am inclined to accept that there were a few among the thousands that were not textbook for any number of reasons that one's imagination can come up with. Perhaps the inspectors were backlogged and needed to clear swords through quickly at some stage in the war. Perhaps a problem was noted on the original fuchi at time of final inspection and another was quickly put in place in a repair facility of some sort rather than have it sent back to the start of the assembly area.

The usual red flag areas; general fitting of tsuka to blade, tsuba finishing, symmetrical (Tokyo) vs. asymmetrical (Nagoya) tapering of the fuller matching the stampings and the saya retention latch shape all look good.

If possible I would like to see a side view of the saya drag and to be told if the tsuba is 9 or 11 mm thick.

I'll check back tomorrow and see what you can provide in those areas.

Regards,
    Stu

Thanks Stu,

I have attached some more pictures for your analysis. I have literally spent days reading every source imaginable about these swords and cannot find another single anomaly so i'm hoping you can help. The only additional information I have is the seller claimed that the sword was gathered not during the war but immediately after the surrender by the occupation forces. However like all swords.......you never know how true a story is. Let me know your thoughts.

Please Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings  

Additonal Photos of Saya and Measurements

(Some of these were tough to caputure well.....I hope this helpsPlease Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi MarkingsPlease Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi MarkingsPlease Help:  Question Regarding WW2 NCO Shin-Gunto - Fuchi Markings

?

Hi Don,

All looks good with the saya. As you probably know I was checking the profile of the drag for the shape of the indent.

"If possible I would like to see a side view of the saya drag and to be told if the tsuba is 9 or 11 mm thick."

Were you able to measure the tsuba?

Regards,
    Stu

Stu,

The tsuba is 9mm thick. Did you want a picture of that?

?

No, thanks, that's fine. Because it is the later 9mm (not late war, just later than the thicker 11mm tsuba) version I'm quite satisfied that all is legit. Had it been the first run 11mm thick version I might then have cause to look further because those first run were assembled in a time when the arsenals were busy, but not under great pressure, so all stampings should be present on them.

Regards,
    Stu