MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Private Collection Museum

Article about: Greetings all! I hope everyone is set for an awesome Christmas. I transferred jobs last June and am now in Texarkana. This past weekend, my wife and I visited a nearby town loaded with histo

Default Private Collection Museum

Greetings all! I hope everyone is set for an awesome Christmas. I transferred jobs last June and am now in Texarkana. This past weekend, my wife and I visited a nearby town loaded with history to include a very impressive firearms and edged weapons collection museum. I was immediately drawn to two swords. I asked if the tang's had been viewed or photographed. I was told that they have been trying to get these translated for quite some time. Any help would be greatly appreciated for the town and visitors for many years to come! Thank you and I wish you all a very Happy New Year!Private Collection MuseumPrivate Collection Museum
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Private Collection Museum   Private Collection Museum  

Private Collection Museum   Private Collection Museum  

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Both blades are WW2 era bladesand likely factory made blades. I am having some trouble with the first mei but the two character mei is Kanemasa.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Regardless ... Please stress the proper way to put these delicate items in the holder.... G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Default "Takayama Sword"

Faulty information corrected. If you read this earlier, I've changed it again!!!

Sword #1: Navy stainless steel "Takayama Sword"

高山刀正兼之作
    Takayama-to Masakane Kore [wo] Saku
    Takayama Sword, Masakane Made This

八七
    Assembly number in lacquered paint

I've explained a similar Takayama Sword on WAF.

==============

Sword #2:
    兼正
    Kanemasa
    [sounds like Kahnay-Masa]
    This was crudely chisled -- I doubt it was done by the smith .....

--Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 12-23-2015 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Realized TWO swords .... Corrected post

Deleted incorrect observation ......
    sheesh .... I'm on a roll here.
    Last edited by ghp95134; 12-23-2015 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Didn't realize two swords .... got stuff mixed up ....

HEY! Are those two different swords?

If so, I made a reading error. The one with but two kanji reads 兼正 Kanemasa and the carving is crudely executed.

The Takayama sword is 正兼 Masakane [same kanji, but reverse order].

Sorry for any goof-ups!

--Guy

Hey Guy, always good to hear from you. For sword #1 is that Yoshiaki Masakane? and is he one of the more accomplished sword smith's? Also, when you and I communicated last year, you stated that most of the WWII swords were made in the same area of Japan. Were the Takayama swords made there as well? Is Kanemasa and Masakane the same person that made both swords?

As I gave you the answer on the niji mei Kanemasa, I can tell you there is no relation between the two blades.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Would this be the correct person? http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/oshigata/kanemas2.jpg, I was unable to find any Masakane (Masakhane). I know you had told me some time ago about the poor record keeping the sword smiths maintained, was it the same with the sword makers as well? Was there a certain amount of training required then to make the swords? (certification).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast