Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Private Collection Museum

Article about: Greetings all! I hope everyone is set for an awesome Christmas. I transferred jobs last June and am now in Texarkana. This past weekend, my wife and I visited a nearby town loaded with histo

Nick,Thank you much for your correction .服部正廣 Hattor Masahiro.

Hattori is one of the rare examples where the reading is a big departure from the normal reading of the characters involved. As a reminder it might be useful to know that Hanzo Hattori was the most famous Ninja in Japanese history, probably the only one who has a subway station as well as an entire subway line named after him, Hanzo-mon station and Hanzo-mon Line in Tokyo.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Hattori is one of the rare examples where the reading is a big departure from the normal reading of the characters involved. As a reminder it might be useful to know that Hanzo Hattori was the most famous Ninja in Japanese history, probably the only one who has a subway station as well as an entire subway line named after him, Hanzo-mon station and Hanzo-mon Line in Tokyo.
    Doggone Japanese language! (>_<)

Thanks Nick!

--Guy

Back already or just stretching between books?

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Back already or just stretching between books?
    Thanks for asking, Nick; I'm just taking a "stretch" right now. I had a tonsil removed on 4/19 and it still hurts to swallow, and I can't talk long; plus, I'm sick of staying in bed. I think I'll be "out of the net" for 3+ months around the beginning of May.

Cheers,
    --Guy

?

For the record, the Masahiro 正廣 signed blade is a postwar souvenir sword sold in the U. S. Army's Post Exchange (PX). For more details, see the thread below.
    NLF Gunto Discussion

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    For the record, the Masahiro 正廣 signed blade is a postwar souvenir sword sold in the U. S. Army's Post Exchange (PX). For more details, see the thread below.
    NLF Gunto Discussion
    But put together from "new old stock" -- the blade was forged & signed before the war ended.

-- Guy

Yes, I doubt the Tenshozan souvenir forge was cranking out Takayama-to. So most likely unused surplus from the war.

Slough has this exact same mei of Hattori Masahiro, but doesn't have any biographical data on him. I tried Sesko's list, and he has a Showa era Hattori, but he's showing a different kanji - MASAHIRO (正弘), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Masahiro” (正弘), real name Hattori Kazuichi (服部一市), born July 30th 1907, he worked as guntō smith. He only shows one smith using 正寛, but it's not Hattori. I was hoping to find a death date to see if he lived long enough to have possibly worked the Tenshozan souvenir operation after the war.

Bruce! Thanks. I think Sesko made a transcription error and used instead of [both "hiro"]. I checked the Gifu Sword Guild for 服部 Hattori and lo and behold:

"Register of Names of Seki Forge Swordsmiths Since Showa 14, October [1939]"
    正広 服部一市 S17.08.25
    Smith name: Masahiro
    Legal name: Hattori Kazu'ichi
    Licensed/Registered with Guild: Showa 17 [1942] August 25

is the simplified version of . I don't think Sesko ever uses ... and I'm betting a dollar to a doughnut he (or the record he copied) used the kanji instead.

Just checked Sesko. He only uses the old kanji in the contents and name headings:
    • Hiro (広・廣) 113
    • Kō (広・廣) 400
    • HIRO (広・廣)
    • KŌ (広・廣)

So if you do a name search of 正廣 [masahiro] you will get 0 results. However, if you search 正広 you'll get results.
    [Still you wouldn't find Hattori Masahiro because of the incorrect hiro 弘 .... unless you did a search for his civilian name 服部一市 Hattori Kazuichi. Then you'd ponder why it is listed as 正弘; rinse/repeat .... ]

-- Guy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3