Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Question about Sash and Armband

Article about: Hello gents, some weeks ago i acquired a propaganda magazine. And one of it's article is about indonesian native forces formed by the japanese. So there's some identification i need help to

Question Question about Sash and Armband

Hello gents, some weeks ago i acquired a propaganda magazine. And one of it's article is about indonesian native forces formed by the japanese. So there's some identification i need help to solve in here before i put this pictures on my blog.
    Is there anyone know about these shoulder sash means?
    Question about Sash and ArmbandQuestion about Sash and Armband
    Are they some kind of instructor? Or NCO sash e.g. sergeant?

And also the armband on the man on the right.
    Question about Sash and Armband
    The armband looks like a hinomaru. Kempeitai? Or non military personnel, maybe train station personnel?

Thank you.

"Officer of the Day", "Duty Officer," and/or "Staff Duty Officer."

Here's my late father-in-law:

Takesaburo Funaya (then 2nd LT), Officer of the Day

Here's another with LT Funaya (far right); note the duty officer, forth from the right:

Battalion Officers & NCOs

--Guy

Further, this link describes it as:

COMPANY GRADE OFFICERS’ DRESS SASH. A belt sash for a company grade officer (field officers’ sashes were similar, but had gold rather than red balls and tassels). The ribbed, thickly-woven silk sash has three red stripes separated by two white stripes running along its length. The balls and tassels themselves are red-colored, finer threads being interwoven around the stiffened balls, and thicker ones comprising the tassels.
    I don't know when they were "formally" worn (dress occasions?), but understand that in day-to-day garrison life they were worn by the duty officer.

--Guy

Default 副官・週番士官

Found it! The official title is:

陸軍週番懸章

Rikugun Shuban kensho
    Army Weekly-Duty Sash

for:
    副官・週番士官
    Adjutant - Weekly Duty Officer

Japanese Wiki:懸章
    Formally enacted in 1886 for the adjutant-of-the-week patrol, it survived until the Imperial Army was dismantled after their defeat of World War II.

--Guy

There were two types of those sashes in the Army, a yellow/white one (in the navy they wore shoulder cords instead) to indicate adjutant or red/white to indicate duty officer of the week. The one in your photo is probably the red/white one worn by officers in charge of patrolling to ensure his units' compliance to regulations and for theft and fire prevention. It indicated duty from Saturday noon time till the same time the following week. Weekly duty NCOs would wear an armband in the same striped design instead of a sash.
    The white armband in your photo does not look like any army one to me.

See below for sash specs and examples.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question about Sash and Armband  

?

In first post photo of soldiers entering train please note Japanese modified captured Dutch sword called Klewang on soldiers belt

MAP
    ?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post

Here's another with LT Funaya (far right); note the duty officer, forth from the right:

--Guy
    Fantastic photo Guy!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Fantastic photo Guy!
    Thanks. In addition to occupying Sakhalin and being in the Pacific theater ... he also "visited" the US ~~ at Attu and Kiska. He was on Attu first, but was moved to Kiska. Dunno if that was because he was an artillery officer or not. When I found out about him being there, he was near his time; all he said was "Attu and Kiska were very 'taihen' -- terrible".

--Guy

--Guy
    Further, this link describes it as:

I don't know when they were "formally" worn (dress occasions?), but understand that in day-to-day garrison life they were worn by the duty officer.

--Guy
    Found it! The official title is:

陸軍週番懸章

Rikugun Shuban kensho
    Army Weekly-Duty Sash

for:
    副官・週番士官
    Adjutant - Weekly Duty Officer

Japanese Wiki:懸章
    Formally enacted in 1886 for the adjutant-of-the-week patrol, it survived until the Imperial Army was dismantled after their defeat of World War II.

--Guy
    Quote by nick komiya View Post
    There were two types of those sashes in the Army, a yellow/white one (in the navy they wore shoulder cords instead) to indicate adjutant or red/white to indicate duty officer of the week. The one in your photo is probably the red/white one worn by officers in charge of patrolling to ensure his units' compliance to regulations and for theft and fire prevention. It indicated duty from Saturday noon time till the same time the following week. Weekly duty NCOs would wear an armband in the same striped design instead of a sash.
    The white armband in your photo does not look like any army one to me.

See below for sash specs and examples.
    Thank you very much gents. Great photos and information.

Quote by Jareth View Post
    In first post photo of soldiers entering train please note Japanese modified captured Dutch sword called Klewang on soldiers belt
    I think this native forces so called "PETA" used ex knil equipment. Even their uniform too.
    About that klewang, it's the variation called "klewang heiho". I think it's intended first for the "Heiho" forces. Indonesian auxiliary soldier for the japanese.
    But i think some original klewang aka the full basket klewang used by them too. I got one picture, depicting a PETA soldier wearing that. It's new for me though.