Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question on helmet

Article about: I got two helmets from Java today, one is a regular looking T90 but the other one was just weird; I'm thinking it could be either civvie or one of the pre T90 hemets. However, it's pretty he

?

Default Question on helmet

I got two helmets from Java today, one is a regular looking T90 but the other one was just weird; I'm thinking it could be either civvie or one of the pre T90 hemets. However, it's pretty heavy (about as heavy/slightly heavier than a hikishop T90 repro with the liner and whole spiel) and seems to be made of steel unlike the civvie ones I've handled. Plus it's from Java. The cockade has been added after the fact. What could it be?

And yes, the inside is rather blue.

It looks to be the same as this helmet, or at least similar. Thought to be civil use (air raid protection etc) / militia. The insignia on the front of your example is Imperial Japanese Navy but as you say, added later.

Credit for this pic goes to Ken N, it comes from his website http://www.germanhelmetsinc.com/index

?

That's what I thought too but the Japanese Luftschutz and Neighborhood watch helmets are not made of superior metal and are generally very thin and light, whereas this one is rather heavy and has the vent holes not usually found on the civvie helmets.