Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Japanese Sword Katana Real? sword smith?

Article about: Hi Guys this is a new acquisition for me. I'm trying to figure out if this is authentic and if so whom the sword smith may be. Sword feels and looks good based on my limited knowledge, sword

Quote by Wblastoff View Post
    A couple more pictures maybe better...
    Thanks for your help!
    Is there a stamp/ touch-mark near the hole? And, can you photograph the full tang? This last photo was much clearer -- but the smith was writing 兼 in "shorthand" -- and I never would have guessed if I hadn't have googled the other kanji.

--Guy

Absolutely no mark near hole that I can see

Thanks Guy!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question Japanese Sword Katana Real? sword smith?  

another
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question Japanese Sword Katana Real? sword smith?  

I agree with the above. It is a shin gunto type 98 with a machine-made blade signed by Kanemichi. My guess would be late war due to not only to the use of a leather and wood saya, but lack of date markings. Basically, one step above a serial numbered blade, but not quite a traditional katana. Still a very Nice piece, and definitely authentic

You guys are great.
    Here is what I do not understand why would a famous sword maker put his name to a machine made blade?

Quote by Wblastoff View Post
    You guys are great.
    Here is what I do not understand why would a famous sword maker put his name to a machine made blade?
    It was required by the military. In the overall history of Japanese swordsmiths, he would not be considered famous.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Man, that some good info.
    Bob, could you elaborate, please?
    Was it required by the military in order to lend the sword some of that 'je ne sais quoi' of famous Japanese sword history/spirit?

I have owned 3 WW2 Japanese swords.
    I have never seen a Silver Habaki only Brass.
    I’m guessing that silver Habaki’s are not as common?

Unfortunately at this stage in the game my finances do not allow me to keep these swords, but each new one I acquire you guys educate me.
    One day maybe I can actually own one instead of putting them into the hands of others.

It is unusual to find a silver foil habaki on a Showato. As to the reason most factory made blades are signed, I am only guessing that it was carrying through the tradition set by genuine legitimate wordsmiths signing their blades.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Please show a close-up of the tsuba. Is it signed?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast