Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Rare , named ,Type 3 Japanese flying helmet

Article about: Hello All, I took a small drive to local auto swap meet and came away with this, along with a few other goodies. I noticed the Japanese kanji on the ear cover and the back portion of the cap

?

William, I understood he was killed on an air raid bombing. Did I misunderstand? I had to read it a couple time to understand haha.

Quote by dramos View Post
    ...Where did this info come from?
    See the highlighted links in my post. Alternatively, you can do a google search for "永谷 尚(一飛曹) 甲種10期,6/24,大宮島" and come up with a few other hits, mostly repeating the same data. Be certain to search each page with the keyword 永谷 (Nagatani).

Any finds you get, past them into Google Translate and then try to make sense of the rendered English.

William, I understood he was killed on an air raid bombing. Did I misunderstand? I had to read it a couple time to understand haha.
    That was my understanding as well.

--Guy

Hard to say. "Killed in action"....was he flying at the time-went up to defend? And if so, where did he crash? The details are abit "grey", from the way that I'm reading them.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi Doug. That is indeed a very nice find. Now you
    need some period goggles.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I see where you are coming from William. I am going to do some searching and see what I can find!

Thank you Steve! Maybe at the next swap meet!

MAP
    ?

Guy...you outdid yourself here. What a great piece of information. From a pick up at a flea market to what amounts to a provenanced item with pretty much the place of capture (assuming it was from an air raid)

Doug: Don't need to say this but sure you are totally stoked about this. I am and it's not even mine.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

MAP, I am very excited about this piece. Japanese militaria seems to be scarce where I am and I rarely, if ever, see any "out in the wild". I am happy to own it and extremely grateful for all the help I have received from the members of this forum! I have been researching for the past few hours, but info is hard to understand because google translate is horrible.

.....I have been researching for the past few hours, but info is hard to understand because google translate is horrible.
    (^_____^)

hehehehehehe ... I feel your pain.

--Guy

?

The 263rd Naval Aviation Group, also known as the Leopard Corps (豹部隊, Hyō Butai). was part of the IJN's 1st Air fleet. They were formed on October 1, 1943 and disbanded July 10, 1944.

On September 30th, 1943, a cabinet meeting planned the Absolute National Defence Zone strategy. The plan was created and considered the Kuril Islands, Bonin Islands, Mariana Islands, Caroline Islands, Geelvink Bay (Biak), Sunda Islands and Burma to be "unsinkable aircraft carriers", meaning they were to be defended at all costs. The 263rd "Panthers" were tasked with protecting this National Defense Zone. The Battle of Philippine Sea and the Aerial Battle of Taiwan–Okinawa would leave the IJN air fleet decimated, with their only strategy being kamikaze attacks.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast