Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Rare , named ,Type 3 Japanese flying helmet

Article about: Hello All, I took a small drive to local auto swap meet and came away with this, along with a few other goodies. I noticed the Japanese kanji on the ear cover and the back portion of the cap

?

Here is an excerpt from "Japanese Naval Aviation Uniforms and Equipment 1937-1945", written by Gary Nila...

Model Type 3 (Hard Earphone)

By late 1942, the Japanese Navy had acquired much technical knowledge through their alliance with Germany. In 1943, the Toyo Telecommunication Equipment Company Ltd, also known as TTK, produced and registered a prototype flight helmet, patterned after the German Siemens Model Lkp W100, specifically for the Japanese Naval Air Forces. From the beginning of World War Two, TTK had been producing telecommunications equipment for the Japanese Navy Submarine Service. Electronic intelligence was shared and filtered between the German and Japanese submarine command.
    TTK used a high-quality soft leather cowhide exterior with a fully lined rabbit fur interior. Their helmet eliminated the front brim and used cotton string laces on the rear to provide a snug fit on the wearer's head. The helmet had two leather-covered metal earphones Cushioned inside these, with soft rubber, were the best contemporary sound electronics.
    Two nickel-plated "D" clips were fitted under the electronic earphones (like the German model) for a proposed oxygen mask that was never developed. The rear of the flight helmet maintained two goggles retention straps. Although TTK placed their brown and orange manufacturer's label inside the helmet, no internal sewn-in labels specifying the naval supply depot or external green labels were placed on the helmet.
    The helmet's chinstrap had two functions. One was to secure the flight helmet to the wearer's head in the normal fashion. The second was to attach a leather-belted bakelite throat mike to the chinstrap on the flight helmet. a 12-inch rubber cable with a metal plug was suspended from the right side of the helmet, where this plug could be attached to the aircraft's electronic radio receiver.

That's some good information and fits this helmet to a "T". Good work, Dramos!

--Guy

In my understanding Nagatani san died on the ground in an USN air raid while on active duty on Guam island. He didn't crashed because he wasn't part of the 8 Zs which flew off trying to defend against the attack this day. A bomb hit the shelter where he and maybe the other pilot died on the ground (Maya Kazuo) were hidden.

Anyway he did his part of aerial warfare, what seems to be the unit diary states his plane was hit (right wing fuel tank) 4 days before his dead, while attacking an USN task force.

I believe the helmet stayed on Guam airfield buildings untill the island was liberated 5 months after.

Great story, awesome item.

?

Sweet helmet!

?

Doug,
    These are my 2 Type 3 TTK flight helmets currently in my collection.Rare , named ,Type 3 Japanese flying helmet

Lovely TTKs, nice to see two together! If you come across one for sale I'm looking and just missed one literally by a few hours!!

Quote by Dean B View Post
    Doug,
    These are my 2 Type 3 TTK flight helmets currently in my collection.
    I cannot rightly read that kanji. I wonder if the 𠆢 symbol [a variant of ⺅ person] above the 鹿 [deer] means something other than part of the full kanji? I cannot find a kanji 𠆢 + 鹿.
    𠆢
    鹿

I had this problem on another kanji I was puzzled over: 𠆢 + 長 [chief, leader, head]; that one is not in either the Japanese or Chinese online dictionaries I consult.
    𠆢
    é•·

My computer is acting up and I cannot correct my above post! I'll try again:
    Doug,
    I cannot rightly read that kanji. I wonder if the 𠆢 symbol [a variant of ⺅ person] above the 鹿 [deer] means something other than part of the full kanji? I cannot find a kanji 𠆢 + 鹿.
    𠆢
    鹿

I had this problem on another kanji I was puzzled over: 𠆢 + 長 [chief, leader, head]; that one is not in either the Japanese or Chinese online dictionaries I consult.
    𠆢
    é•·

This is the offending radical!
    ^

I had to use the caret key (^) because the cone-hat shaped radical messes up the code, I think!
    ====
    Doug,
    I cannot rightly read that kanji. I wonder if the ^ symbol [a variant of ⺅ person] above the 鹿 [deer] means something other than part of the full kanji? I cannot find a kanji ^ +鹿.

^
    鹿

I had this problem on another kanji I was puzzled over: ^ + é•· [chief, leader, head]; that one is not in either the Japanese or Chinese online dictionaries I consult.
    ^
    é•·

?

Guy, the chevron mark above the kanji indicates ranking pilot.

Rare , named ,Type 3 Japanese flying helmet

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast