Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Real Wakizashi?

Article about: I just picked this up on another forum cheaply, though I assume what I paid is more or less fair for the condition it seems to be in. Supposedly it's an Uda Wakizashi, though I have little k

Default Real Wakizashi?

I just picked this up on another forum cheaply, though I assume what I paid is more or less fair for the condition it seems to be in. Supposedly it's an Uda Wakizashi, though I have little knowledge when it comes to these. The blade has definite use and the fittings appear civilian. While I am inclined to believe that all of the parts are original, I'm mostly questioning if this was something pieced together stateside or not.

Thanks!
    Real Wakizashi?

Real Wakizashi?

Real Wakizashi?

Real Wakizashi?

Real Wakizashi?

Real Wakizashi?

Real Wakizashi?

Real Wakizashi?

Real Wakizashi?

?

To me, it looks legit' and the fittings are less civilian and more very late war Riinji Seshiki (I hope I got that right). Also known as Type 3, Marine landing sword and etc. The blade is a very cut down katana, "O Suriage" in other words. I think you did OK for a piece of WW2 militaria. The wartime type Gunto for army officers 1943 (Type 3 GuntM)

Rinji Seishiki is the correct spelling

Quote by DaveR View Post
    To me, it looks legit' and the fittings are less civilian and more very late war Riinji Seshiki (I hope I got that right). Also known as Type 3, Marine landing sword and etc. The blade is a very cut down katana, "O Suriage" in other words. I think you did OK for a piece of WW2 militaria. The wartime type Gunto for army officers 1943 (Type 3 GuntM)
    I agree with Dave - nice blade, shortened at some point in it's life, re-fitted for the war. You didn't show a good picture of the tsuba (handguard), but from zooming in, it appears to be a civilian one, not a Rinji Seishiki. Would you mind giving us a shot of that? My guess is that the fittings from the habaki up are original and only the leather bound saya (scabbard) are WWII refit.

Dave,
    Is it the tsuba and/or the kabutogane that strikes you as R.S.? I went back and looked at all my R.S. kabutogane and they look like the one I'm posting. This one has a much larger opening for the ito tie-off. Yet, the hole for the sarute or tassel would seem out of place for a civilian kabutogane.
    Attached Images Attached Images Real Wakizashi? 

Here you go guys!

Real Wakizashi?

Real Wakizashi?

Real Wakizashi?

That’s what I thought. I don’t know anything about civilian fittings, so I’m puzzled by the hole in the top of the kabutogane, (it looks old and beat up), but all the rest is original. They simply fitted the blade with a leather bound saya for the war.