Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Red Cross photo

Article about: I recently picked up this small photo. I haven't seen this type of clothing before, does anyone else have photos showing this type of wear? Regards Russ

?

Default Red Cross photo

I recently picked up this small photo. I haven't seen this type of clothing before, does anyone else have photos showing this type of wear?

Regards

Russ
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Red Cross photo   Red Cross photo  

?

was this worn inside hospital by wounded soldier or staff ?

That photo is dated 12th July 1904, and is of Imai, an army man recovering from beriberi in Odawara. He is wearing summer patient wear with the obligatory red cross patch on his left arm. This attire was carried over into WW2 as well, though no longer white, but in uniform color. See here Kinky Exotica

?

Thanks Nick, I must have missed that thread before, great stuff!

Regards

Russ

Quote by RussM View Post
    I recently picked up this small photo. I haven't seen this type of clothing before, does anyone else have photos showing this type of wear?...
    I THOUGHT that photo looked familiar! Maybe Nick can fill in where I was unable, or make corrections:
    [edit: I see Nick already has done this -- 脚気病 kakke byō [beriberi]. Thanks Nick!]
    I recall seeing WWII soldiers in hospitals wearing that sort of kimono, but not the "chef" hat! I've seen Meiji-era nurses wearing that hat, but theirs is starched and really look like a chef's hat.

I had some troubles with old kanji, but have mostly got it out ... I think.
    =======
    時茲明治甲辰七月十二日[12 July 1904] *気病為の
    湯ヶ原の轉地帰途小田原に於いてを
    影撮せじものあり

芳*正に貳拾有壹
    病良,
    今井

Time was Meiji Kōshin [zodiac year = 1904], July 12th [type of] illness. Because [of illness]
    Photographed in Odawara on the way home from Yugawara.

[phone number or street?] 20*1

Illness better,
    Imai
    =========
    Imai-san was using the very old obsolete numbers [see attached.] These numbers are still used on certificates and bank checks so someone cannot change the number easily. For instance it is easy to change 1 一 to 7 七 by adding the downward hook.

Yugawara is a well-known hot springs resort, possibly used as a sanatorium/rest hospital.
    Yugawara Hotsprings Resort

?

Many thanks Guy, have had a few email issues and lost your translations on the Red Cross and bicycle photos!

Regards

Russ