Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Request Help With Translation, Sextant Box

Article about: I have a naval sextant box that's in pretty rough shape. Nonetheless, it has surviving paper labels, a metal identification plate, and kanji writing (on the lid). I believe that the plate is

?

Default Request Help With Translation, Sextant Box

I have a naval sextant box that's in pretty rough shape. Nonetheless, it has surviving paper labels, a metal identification plate, and kanji writing (on the lid). I believe that the plate is dated February 17, 1945, but I'm not sure. I've attached several shots, including a few miscellaneous parts (to the sextant?) that were contained in the box. Any translation information or other background would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Request Help With Translation, Sextant Box   Request Help With Translation, Sextant Box  

Request Help With Translation, Sextant Box   Request Help With Translation, Sextant Box  

Request Help With Translation, Sextant Box   Request Help With Translation, Sextant Box  

Attached Images Attached Images Request Help With Translation, Sextant Box 

Yup, that's what it's for:

九六式六分儀改一

Kuroku-Shiki Rokubungi Kai-Ichi
    Type 96 Sextant Modification 1

--Guy

?

Thanks Guy!

I'll fill it in for you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Request Help With Translation, Sextant Box  

?

Here's mine
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Request Help With Translation, Sextant Box   Request Help With Translation, Sextant Box  

Request Help With Translation, Sextant Box  

?

Very cool. Thanks Nick and Jareth. I'm going to try to clean my box up, but the metal is pretty corroded and the paper is fragile. I've started to clean the grime off of the wood with Murphys Oil Soap.

I was wondering if my translation of the date (Feb 17, 1945) is correct? I'm not sure if the wear is due to post war storage, or if it was just heavily used during the war. I didn't include a photo but the handle on the side looks to be a replacement, although still seems period. Thanks again for the feedback.

Tom

You've got the date right.