Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

rising sun flag

Article about: Hello all, I picked up this item in a local thrift store & figured it is a reproduction piece but knowing absolutely nothing about Japanese items figured I’d ask for help here. On two of

?

Default rising sun flag

Hello all,
    I picked up this item in a local thrift store & figured it is a reproduction piece but knowing absolutely nothing about Japanese items figured I’d ask for help here. On two of the ends there are leather pieces with ties & I believe the flag is made of cotton. The size is roughly 28 by 39 inches. As I said I figured it is a repro particularly since it seems to be in very nice shape but before it gets tossed hopefully someone can tell me definitively whether bogus or real.
    Thanks for any help or info you may provide
    Duzig(Bill)
    rising sun flagrising sun flag

What you have is a non-military commercial replica of a navy flag, but may well be from war time. See if it glows in blacklight. What I mean by commercial replica is that the navy itself did not use such a small flag, but it was something you could buy at a store for waving at parades, etc. You will find all details here The Banner of Golden Brocade

?

Hello Nick,
    thank you very much for your help & the link to that thread. It is greatly appreciated. I will check out with a black light as you suggest. As I mentioned I know absolutely nothing about Japanese items so your link and info really are very much appreciated.
    all the best,
    Bill