Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Saipan Battlefield Pickup

Article about: This is probably the worst condition rifle in my collection but it's also one of my favorites. It was picked up on Saipan by a B29 crew member. I did some "forensics" with BBQ skew

Default Saipan Battlefield Pickup

This is probably the worst condition rifle in my collection but it's also one of my favorites. It was picked up on Saipan by a B29 crew member. I did some "forensics" with BBQ skewers in the fragment holes and it looks like the grenade went off about two feet from the right side of the rifle even leaving a burnt spot on the stock. Note how the fragments even dented the dust cover and pierced the sling. It's a fully matching and mummed 31st series Toyo Kogyo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Saipan Battlefield Pickup   Saipan Battlefield Pickup  

Saipan Battlefield Pickup   Saipan Battlefield Pickup  

Saipan Battlefield Pickup  

To me you have a very special rifle, one that truly was there and shows the brutality of war that very few understand.
    I do like the dust cover. It shows that the Japanese did use them in battle and most(in my opinion) were removed by the soldier who captured the rifle.
    Marty
    Last edited by Tank Destroyer; 08-27-2017 at 02:07 AM.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Another one with great provenance. I'm guessing that only cost that fly boy a good bottle of booze from one of the Marines! I do love your CSI skills with those skewers

Semper Fi
    Phil

Plus one live round that was picked up on Iwo Jima!!!

Hello,

I was amaized by your minty rifles. But I must say I enjoy to see this one even more. I feel lucky to see your beautiful collection. I just don't know anything close here in France. Many thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers,
    Mat.

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    To me you have a very special rifle, one that truly was there and shows the brutality of war that very few understand.
    I do like the dust cover. It shows that the Japanese did use them in battle and most(in my opinion) were removed by the soldier who captured the rifle.
    Marty
    That's what I love about this rifle. The only down side to it is that the vet didn't keep the bore clean. It's like a sewer pipe. I also suspect that this was picked up somewhere after laying out in the elements for some time. Either that or the soldier that had it was one of the last hold outs?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Plus one live round that was picked up on Iwo Jima!!!
    Isn't that the icing on the cake?

?

Quote by arisakadogs View Post
    The only down side to it is that the vet didn't keep the bore clean. It's like a sewer pipe.
    Well he does say he picked up several hundred rounds! But he did save one for you and its on the stripper clip from IWO JIMA!!!!

Icing on the cake with strawberries on top!!!WIN WIN right there!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Marty
    My feelings exactly - thank you

Great score!! That one really has some "Talk to you!!" Regards,Geoff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast