MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Sake Serving Tray?

Article about: Hello, I have this tray made of laquered wood and 21cm across. The Kanji markings read '4th Field Artillery Regiment'. Presumably it is for serving Sake? Is it an authentic period item (are

Default Sake Serving Tray?

Hello, I have this tray made of laquered wood and 21cm across. The Kanji markings read '4th Field Artillery Regiment'. Presumably it is for serving Sake? Is it an authentic period item (are these reproduced/faked)? It was bought very cheaply. Any help will be appreciated. Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sake Serving Tray?   Sake Serving Tray?  

?

Default Re: Sake Serving Tray?

Hi Douglas , it's a nice period piece IMO , i haven't come across repros of these commemorative trays as yet !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

i must agree with alan i haven't see many repros of these ever so i would doubt this one was and the condition is very good so nice piece !!

Thanks very much for the reassurance.

Very nice piece Douglas,
    I've come across a few of these over the years, yours is one of the best I've seen.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers-
    D.L

?

Hello Douglas,

I believe this to be an authentic piece. My understanding is that they were given, usually along with two or four similarily painted Sake cups, to soldiers leaving a unit. The 4th Field Artillery Regiment predates WWII and that tray could well have sat undamaged for many years in a home. For some time I acquired Sake cups and came across trays in similar condition on a regular basis. The lacquer seems to have done an outstanding job of preservation on many of them.

Regards,
    Stu