Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Samurai Sword Markings

Article about: Hey guys, is anyone fluent enough to help me identify some markings on this sword? I am not sure if it is ww2 or later.

Default Samurai Sword Markings

Hey guys, is anyone fluent enough to help me identify some markings on this sword? I am not sure if it is ww2 or later.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Samurai Sword Markings   Samurai Sword Markings  

Samurai Sword Markings  

?

Can you be patient enough not to post two identical threads... Not a dial up service...... Did the "Samurai" add this to their swords ?? Sit tight and relax.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Samurai Sword Markings  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

兼定
    Kanetada

The Shō {昭} within the cherry blossom stamp indicates it was made in 1930s-1940s.

--Guy

Judging by the mounts, this factory made blade is likely circa 1941-43. The wear of a sword by the Japanese Military ended in 1845.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hi and sorry for the duplicate post. My apologies. My computer is on the brink of a meltdown so I must have made a mistake. What is the best resource for Japanese sword markings? I have never owned one but am now in a position to grow my collection. Thank you so much for the help!

Are you interested in WW2 military blades or antique blades?
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Have a look at this link and then the site in general.

JAPANESE SHOWA ERA SWORDS

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Judging by the mounts, this factory made blade is likely circa 1941-43. The wear of a sword by the Japanese Military ended in 1845.
    Bob meant 1945. I also have "fat finger syndrome." (^___^)

--Guy

Hey guys, thank you so much for the links and opinions. I am interested in mainly Japanese ww2 blades. I will post some of my collection in the upcoming week. I am mainly interedted in German helmets, rifles, Luger's and Japanese swords. I sold off a lot of my collection to buy a Luger a year ago but am now in a position to buy some new items. I picked up this sword for $600 and figured it was a fair price.

?

If that was 600 USD then yes you got it at a fair price. Perhaps even a good price depending upon the fit of the parts and condition of the blade edge. I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with them just that I can't tell tightness of fit and condition of edge without more info. The weather cover is a nice bonus to find on your iconic IJA Officer sword in a Type 98 mount.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast