MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Seeking help to identify - east asian item??

Article about: Hello there - hoping someone out there can help me please. I have a curious item of interest here which does not fall into the categories above, so thought I would try it out here. I think t

?

Default Seeking help to identify - east asian item??

Seeking help to identify - east asian item??Seeking help to identify - east asian item??Seeking help to identify - east asian item??Seeking help to identify - east asian item??

Hello there - hoping someone out there can help me please. I have a curious item of interest here which does not fall into the categories above, so thought I would try it out here.

I think the instructions on it are written in Cantonese.

It is in a small metal box dimensions:

46mmx60mmx18mm

Has a leather strap riveted to it.

Side one - a small window measuring 16mmx10mm at widest point. In this window is a little bubble - bit like what you get on a spirit level. Has red markings. Also on this side are what I imagine are a whole heap of instructions in an oriental language.

Side 2 - a small window which you look through. 17mmx8mm. Looking through here i see the red markings from the 'spirit level' and a range of numbers:

24, 25, 26, 27, centre mark(28), 29, 30, 31, 32
    abvoe these, 1, 2, 3, 4, centre point, 6, 7, 8.

Side 3, More instructions in oriental language. A sliding switch, which when moved, changes my view in the view window. I no longer see the red markings from the bubble case, but now I see a free spinning disc with numbers 1 through to 32. There may be more... not sure.

Side 4 - an opaque window which allows light in,

Side 5 - the base

Side 6 - the side with the leather strap.

Comes in a leather case

I welcome any thoughts and suggestions!
    Thanks, Kate.

?

Default Re: Seeking help to identify - east asian item??

Update - this could be a Japanese Clinometer used in conjunction with a compass. c.WW2

?

Hi,
    Couldn't help noticing this unusual item. I had never heard of a goniometer before. Based on the language usage, it is a WWII or before item.
    I was a little rushed so perhaps the translation is a bit rough plus it is difficult to explain what the different components are doing without having seen the item. Please accept my translation with my apologies and best wishes.
    Photo 2
    How to Use
    1. To measure with the 32 degree semi-circle dial, zero the magnetic directional needle by moving it clockwise (hold the instrument horizontally and look through the eyepiece at the target and the magnetic needle reading will be visible on the instrument).
    2. To measure slight right and left horizontal angular differences, zero (the needle) in the direction of the target (use the same procedure outlined previously, but read the semi-circle dial).
    3. To measure low and high vertical angles (hold the instrument vertically and look at the target through the eyepiece. This is measured by keeping the vertical instrument's bubble reflected on the mirror on zero.)
    Photo 4
    Goniometer (3 large characters above fan shape) 測角器
    When using this instrument the stopper must be in the stop position; when measuring magnetic directional angles, move the stopper to the opposite (right) side.
    J.E.S. Screws
    The scratched in character is East but can also be the family name "AZUMA," probably the owner.

?

Sorry, forgot to mention that the language is Japanese.

?

Thank you so much for the translation - i am so very grateful!

?

Quote by ktpie View Post
    Thank you so much for the translation - i am so very grateful!
    Glad to have helped.

TM