Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Seeking information on yard sale katana

Article about: Hello all I purchased this katana at a yard sale last July, and thought i'd share it with you. Sadly to say this is all that is left of it, it must have been a real beauty in its day. To bri

Hey y'all!! I'm pretty certain that is TENSHO 2 Year

備州三原住正直作
    Bishū Mihara Jū Masanao Saku
    Made by Masanao, Resident of Mihara in Bishū

天正二年八月日
    August 1574

Here's another; Tensho 6 Year

三原市の文化財
    ― Cultural properties of Mihara ―
    名称

備州三原住正直作
    よみがな
    かたな
    めい びしゅうみはらじゅうまさな
    おさく
    指定
    市指定
    種別
    重要文化財
    種類
    工芸品
    所有者
    個人蔵
    員数
    1口
    指定年月日
    昭和40年(1965)3月27日
    構造形式
    刃文丁字乱れ
    鎬造り
    目くぎ穴1ヶ
    裏銘 天正六年八月 日
    法量
    長さ62.7cm
    反り2.2cm
    時代
    室町時代 天正6年(1578)
    公開状況
    非公開
    Last edited by ghp95134; 02-02-2015 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to add "Masa" to ~nao. MASANAO

Hello,

As promised here are more pictures of the blade. I made some observations today when blade was in hand that should
    be mentioned. The file marks on the nakago can hardly be seen with the naked eye. Also, the signature has
    deteriorated, softened with age, a attribute that i dont find on other katanas that i have which are newer WWII guntos and
    Kai-guntos. And the nakago is very dark, it could be called black, another feature not found on my newer swords.

Thank you Mart

Seeking information on yard sale katanaSeeking information on yard sale katanaSeeking information on yard sale katanaSeeking information on yard sale katanaSeeking information on yard sale katana

Looks like 24k. gold filler for the top menukiana [retention hole]? That's not found on garden-variety swords that were shortened.

--Guy

[edit: as kindly pointed out to me further "down range," I flubbed a technical term. I should have written meKUGI-ana vice meNUKI-ana.]
    Last edited by ghp95134; 02-03-2015 at 01:20 AM.

MAP
    ?

Nice! 16th century. Awesome!

Would anyone know if this is worthy of a polishing by Moses or another qualified person?

Would be great to be able to know the history.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Looks like 24k. gold filler for the top menukiana [retention hole]? That's not found on garden-variety swords that were shortened.

--Guy
    Typo maybe? Mekugi ana maybe?

Regards,
    Stu

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Nice! 16th century. Awesome!

Would anyone know if this is worthy of a polishing by Moses or another qualified person?

Would be great to be able to know the history.

Michael
    That's going to require an in hand inspection by the polisher. Moses will do it if you contact him and arrange it ahead of time. You don't have to worry about him saying yes just to get the work either as he's got a wait list at least a year long at any given time.

Regards,
    Stu

Guy, keen observation skills you have there! I have looked at the menukiana under a 60 power scope, and the filler used
    is gold, IMO and not your garden variety either! ha ha Buy the way do you, or anyone else have a idea of the age of the
    saya?

Thank you Mart

Seeking information on yard sale katana

?

For ease of viewing I'll flip these ...

Regards,
    Stu

Seeking information on yard sale katanaSeeking information on yard sale katana

MAP
    ?

Quote by Stu W View Post
    That's going to require an in hand inspection by the polisher. Moses will do it if you contact him and arrange it ahead of time. You don't have to worry about him saying yes just to get the work either as he's got a wait list at least a year long at any given time.

Regards,
    Stu
    Thanks! I know, he is a busy guy. My blade has been with him since Aug. He told me at least a year, probably more.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Default I Hate It When I'm Stoopit

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Typo maybe? Mekugi ana maybe?

Regards,
    Stu

I suffer from CRS! Be kind to me. (^___^)

Honest! My brain was saying "Mekugi ana" [edit: see -- I did it again; now corrected] but my subversive fingers -- damn their eyes! [oh, wait ...] -- took over. Yes: MEKUGI ANA; and, just to ensure I do not make such a faux pas in the near future:

Mekugiana
    Dowel Hole

--Guy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast