Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Seeking information on yard sale katana

Article about: Hello all I purchased this katana at a yard sale last July, and thought i'd share it with you. Sadly to say this is all that is left of it, it must have been a real beauty in its day. To bri

?

Not sure what CRS is but I know I have had the occasional bout of it too!

Regards,
    Stu

Stu, Bob, and other knowledgeable Nippon-to aficianadi: I need some educational reinforcement!!

That's katana-mei, isn't it: the signature on outside when worn in the sash as uchigatana, edge up? For something from the 16th century I would have expected it to be tachi-mei [signature on the outside when worn suspended, edge down].

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Not sure what CRS is but I know I have had the occasional bout of it too!

Regards,
    Stu
    "Can't Remember "Stuff"". It's a tragedy, really ..... what were we discussing???

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Stu, Bob, and other knowledgeable Nippon-to aficianadi: I need some educational reinforcement!!

That's katana-mei, isn't it: the signature on outside when worn in the sash as uchigatana, edge up? For something from the 16th century I would have expected it to be tachi-mei [signature on the outside when worn suspended, edge down].
    Guy-
    Most of the blades from that are Suekoto are katana mei. I have never understood the reasoning behind the majority of Edo Period Hizen smiths signing tachi mei. This was also standard also for the Kunikiyo line in Kyoto. The majority of blades found in tachi koshirae that are not Kamakura Period are katana mei
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks Bob.

Too much information ... too little time. How do you do it???

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Thanks Bob.

Too much information ... too little time. How do you do it???

--Guy
    I don't I really blew the I D on the blade last night. I focused in on the second character in the date thinking the first character to be Tai instead of Ten and therefore looked in the wrong place. I should know better.
    BOB

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your input, and are you of the opinion that the blade was made in 1574?

Thank you, Mart

Mihara City considers the one they have as an "Important Cultural Property" of the City.

Here's a better view of Mihara City's pdf that I posted on p.2 -- their sword was made by the same swordsmith as Martin's sword. Now .... I'm NOT saying this one is comparable to the City of Mihara's .... but it very well could be since it was the same smith and produced 4 years earlier. If it were mine, I'd want someone like Moses to give his opinion as to whether or not it's worth polishing and kitting out in koshirae.

名称 Title -- Sword
    銘 備州三原住正直作 -- Signature: Bishu Mihara Ju Masanao Saku
    指定 Designation -- 市指定 City Designation
    種別 Classification -- 重要文化財 Important cultural properties
    種類 Category -- 工芸品 Handicraft
    所有者 Owner -- 個人蔵 Private Collection
    員数 Amount -- 1口 One
    指定年月日 Specified date -- 昭和40年(1965)3月27日 March 27
    構造形式 Structure format:
    • 刃文丁字乱れ Hamon: Choji-midare
    • 鎬造り Shinogi zukuri [ridge line is about 1/3 from top
    • 目くぎ穴1ヶ retaining holes: 1
    • 裏銘 天正六年八月 日 Signature on back: A Day in Tensho 6th Year 8th Month

法量 measurements
    • 長さ62. 7cm length [straight-line distance from tip to habaki notch] 62.7 cm
    • 反り2.2 cm Curvature 2.2cm [at deepest area between above line and back of the blade]

時代 Period/Era -- 室町時代 天正6年(1578)Muromachi Era, Tensho 6 year (1578)
    公開状況 Status -- 非公開 Private

--Guy

MAP
    ?

This is a great thread guys! Love it when items like these are saved and cared for.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Martin C View Post
    Hi Bob,

Thank you for your input, and are you of the opinion that the blade was made in 1574?

Thank you, Mart
    Definitely the blade is made by the Masanao of the Bingo Mihara Group, Tensho Period. The signature appears to be genuine and combined with the date, I believe it is worth investing money in restoration of the blade and also it's mounting. The date would indicate that it was ordered and not part of a mass production order common in this period due to the continual civil war.
    BOB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3