Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Seeking more information about this Japanese Sword

Article about: Hi, I have this sword, I don’t know a whole lot about it but I believe it’s a WWII Gunto with a machine made blade. However there is an unusual marking on the tang that looks like a puzzle p

No that’s not what I paid, I was hoping to get atleast that out of it however. What do occupied land swords typically bring?

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    So a remounted Chinese Collaborator's sword? What was it then, originally, before getting a second hole to take on a copy of Japanese style fittings?

The stamp looking like キ is gibberish and the Menuki is no mum. Bruce's comment seemed reasonable by starting out saying that he had seen the stamping on modern Chinese fakes, therefore he thought the blade was a fake, but somehow the conclusion is that it's a legitimate Chinese collaborator's blade? You lost me, how did you accomplish that U-turn in logic?
    You got me Nick! ANOTHER possibility is this was originally mounted with a tsuka just as ugly as the saya, and somebody said "Dang this sure would look more Japanese if I mounted another tsuka on it."! i admit that the fakers do tend to be pretty dumb in their attempts. But I still don't get why they would use menugi like that with obviously original fuchi and kabutogane. It could just be a "bitser."

With these, it boils down to - owner weigh the info and make your own call on it.

Again on price - the honest Chinese replica sellers often sell for $150, so personally, I think $400 is a bit high.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    The stamp looking like キ is gibberish and the Menuki is no mum.
    That キ looks like a plug to the peg hole (menkugi ana). Some kind of repair to fix the first hole.

The Menuki is three connected sunburst disks. Each disk looks like the ones on the pommel (kabutogane) picture shown by DaveR.

This sword is a huge mess. If you want to learn or collect Japanese swords, then this sword won't do, because it is not made by a Japanese smith. This sword won't be a good representative piece of Japanese swords of any kind.

Thank you guys for all your input, going to chalk it up to being a pieced together mess of a sword.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3