Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Senninbari (Thousand Stitch Belt)????, No stiches but Kanji Help What is it, and What does it say??

Article about: Hi, brand new here, bought this yesterday from a 77 year old man, said it was given to him and he was told it was taken from a shot Japanese solider , I did some research on net all I could

?

Default Re: Senninbari (Thousand Stitch Belt)????, No stiches but Kanji Help What is it, and What does it say??

The sash is a great piece of history. I think however that not a lot of attention is given to homefront items. These sashes turn up a lot in Japanese flea markets and are sometimes seen on ebay. IMO I think a rough value would be $40-$60. (on a side note, I have seen Manchurian women's defense sashes -- a lot more uncommon -- go for nearly $1000 on Japanese auction sites!) I owned one similar to yours a few years ago and noticed that there was lightly stamped kanji on the interior of the sash that gave the prefecture/city location of where the sash originally came from in Japan. Might not be something that all sashes had. Hope this helps.

Tom

Default Re: Senninbari (Thousand Stitch Belt)????, No stiches but Kanji Help What is it, and What does it say??

Thanks Tom,

Thanks everyone for taking time to read and reply

I don't have a picture of mine available, I'll try to get one this weekend. Mine is exactly like the one you have pictured except the womens association symbol at the bottom of the writing is red and mine has a bit of blood stains. I don't know the value but in my 43 years of collecting I have only seen a few of these.
    Last edited by BOB COLEMAN; 04-28-2016 at 12:24 AM.

Default Senninbari (Thousand Stitch Belt)?????, No Stitches but Kanji....

As others have said, these sashes were worn by members of the Dai Nippon Fujin Kai (there were other Japanese Ladies Associations as well). In general, the Ladies Patriotic Association members served a number of roles during the War: They collected materials (toothpaste and brushes, bandages, postcards and pencils, etc.) that were packed into comfort bags and sent to the men overseas. In addition, they aided in the send off of troops by supporting the send off parades and parties. They are often seen in images serving tea and other snacks to the troops as they board their trains or ships for embarkation. Another function that they served was to help fabricate 1000 stitch belts and other senninbari articles that were later mailed to the men overseas. Belts, without stitches are the variety most often seen mass produced by the Associations. Sometimes the sashes that we encounter have the name of the chapter that the woman belonged to stamped on it. At other times, the sashes had the chapter's characters hand written on them.
    I have an interesting sash/senninbari (it contains 1000 knots or stitches), that was stitched and made into a senninbari. Posting here as it pertains to the discussion. I think that the 2 hand drawn characters are for the number "10", perhaps a chapter number...
    MichaelB

Senninbari (Thousand Stitch Belt)????,  No stiches but Kanji  Help  What is it, and What does it say??Senninbari (Thousand Stitch Belt)????,  No stiches but Kanji  Help  What is it, and What does it say??
    Last edited by MichaelB; 04-28-2016 at 02:06 AM.

A white apron along with the sash was the official uniform for this association. They changed names in 1942 so the sash predates that change. Ladies in the correct uniform with civilian patriotic flags for sending off soldiers.
    Attached Images Attached Images Senninbari (Thousand Stitch Belt)????,  No stiches but Kanji  Help  What is it, and What does it say?? 

Quote by tinybigsmoke View Post
    Appreciate all help on this subject,, If I were to sell mine any idea ball park value??
    Sir-
    The forum is an educational site and not a free appraisal service. Too many people come here, use our member's knowledge for their own gain, contribute nothing to the cost of running our forum and are never heard from again. Please do not ask about an evaluation again.
    Last edited by BOB COLEMAN; 04-28-2016 at 04:05 AM.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I love that photographic image! I was lucky enough about a year or two ago to find an auction lot that included the apron type that you reference here, along with the woman's sash and a few other patriotic items that she had stored away. If I can find them, I will photograph and post here. Regards, MichaelB

I wonder whether the Japanese soldier, who according to the vet, supposedly got shot wearing the sash, was also wearing the apron?
    It would be super rare, if you could prove they already cross dressed outside Kabuki and Noh in those days.

?

I think the ladies from this organisation are portrayed wearing this sash in the movie "Letters from Iwo Jima" when they present the young soldier with his call up papers.

Regards

Russ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast