Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Shin Gunto

Article about: Hi new here so it will take me a while to get the hang of posting pictures but I have a Shin Gunto that I wish to have the Mei translated as it appears it is possibly not a massed produced t

A couple for tactoids about Takayama MasayoshiShin GuntoShin Gunto

?

To my eye it's a fine example of the collectible and iconic IJA Officer sword in Type 98 mounts. I once came across an old photo of a rack upon which were hanging dozens of blades by hooks through that third hole by the very end of the nakago. Perhaps that's the case with this one. Just a guess of course.

Regards,
    Stu

Great information guys thank you so much for your assistance & information for the last part of the puzzle if it is possible to date the item as I was advised by another source it could be a bitsa if it was manufactured in 1944 or after that date hence the DOM is important to me.
    It would be great if it turns out not to be a bitsa it must have some significance as the tang (sorry I am not that ofare with Japanese nomenclature) has been signed I gather by the sword smith.

The chap I got it from (I swapped for an 1917 '07 bayonet to match his 1917 303) said that his father brought 2 back with him from the WWII and he was letting this one go I did not see the pics of the other sword.
    Worth is irrelevant to me its the history that is important to me so I understand what I have because the Japanese did and still do hold their swords and the art of swordsmanship in high regard indeed.

Saved the link.......

?

I believe it's DOM can be placed to the WW2 period but the multiple holes in the nakago might indicate a remounted blade from a period later in the war than the earlier fittings. Unlike German daggers where a parts piece is of lesser value than an untouched example Japanese swords often have replaced parts and remounted blades. They were not solely a dress item but also a tool of combat.

Regards,
    Stu

?

By the way, I may not be understanding your thoughts on a signed blade but a mei does not mean it's a treasure of any sort. A signature might be just the name of a factory worker who did some hand finishing on the blade. It could be an apprentice signing blades for his teacher. It could be gimei. Many options and the vast majority of WW2 Shin-gunto I've dealt with have had a signature and date present. Most Kai-gunto as well but not as many as the Shin-gunto.

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    A couple for tactoids about Takayama MasayoshiShin GuntoShin Gunto
    Hmmmmmm .... that looks familiar! I guess NOTHING dies on the internet! (^__^)

Guy
    aka ghp
    aka ghp95134

Thanks for that information guys, thats K if its a wartime build so all that can be said it was built during that period at some time.
    I did have visions of getting it reconditioned but was told by my friend that they do not refinish these swords in Japan anymore and I take his word on it as he had his sword not a Shin Gunto its a very early blade refurbed in Japan years ago thats when he told me about them not reconing WWII jobs.

Cannot remember what he called the sword but he did put a monitary value on it (this conversation was 18 months ago) of $27,000.oo/AU insured.

I copied those 2 pieces as well thanks

There are qualified people in the U.S. that will do a restoration for you. One of them is Moses Becerra.
    It is pricey though!
    Maybe Stu W will elaborate a little more for you.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Takayama Masayoshi
    Source: Japanese language link.
    Current as of 15 January 2016

The author cites a 1942 magazine article "Shin Budō," but he doesn't actually quote from the article.
    In respect to Takayama Masakichi, the below article was written in the pre-war martial arts magazine "New Martial Arts" (August 1, 1942). [ghp: Image below.]

In this magazine, to which Mr. Takayama himself has contributed, it is possible to learn of the passion of his personality and his martial art. Takayama Masakichi was a civilian employee of the Navy and was not even a military man (※ 2). Due to his avid sword technique research, the Takayama sword method is found within the Toyama Military School.

Unfortunately, he was not a serviceman; however, his position was unprecedented in that his civil service rank was equivalent to a flag officer [trans. note: general officer; Senior Executive Service; as seen in the images below, it is easy to understand why people thought he was a naval officer].

For the purpose to research sword techniques, and also to prove that his Takayama Sword Method [Takayama Ryu] was true, he proceeded to the war front and participated in the Battle of Nanking. I was honestly impressed by the way he put his life on the line. There was no certainty he would live and to be able to return home; hypothetically, he could have been killed in this campaign.
    ===
    After the war ... Takayama came to ruin. Because he was suspected of War Crimes, had to hide himself. Although resolved to self-determination, he eventually had to live quietly in the mountains of Kyushu.

Takayama Masakichi decided after the war not to appear in the world; he would, after all, seclude himself in the Kyushu mountains. Even today it is a place of abundant nature where the mountains are high, the snow is deep -- and still far away from the world. I imagine in those days it was a more inconvenient life.

...After the war the world began to calm down; war criminals fled deep into the heart of a mountain because there were such circumstances. Thoughts about the former military fade, and the Japanese way of thinking changed very much; it may be said that the person called Takayama Masakichi was forgotten to the world.

As life gradually became more abundant and convenient, the art of the unsheathed sword changed from the "Life Taking Sword" lethality that defeated an enemy, to that of a sport for mental discipline.

Takayama's postwar enthusiasm for martial arts did not change at all from his prewar enthusiasm. However, no matter how you view it, Takayama's thoughts and teachings were old.

The third generation inheritor of Takayama Ryu, when speaking about Takayama and his postwar life said, "As for Takayama sensei, he had an interest in martial arts after the war; however, it was the people of the forthcoming era who missed the bus." And, even if that is now muttered, it leaves a keen impression.

In this way I am living with these times and obsolete times; however, a corner of that period has survived. The imprint of a phantom illusion of Takayama Ryu has piqued my interest.

May 2012 Takayama Ryu Battōjutsu Institute President

Note:
    (※ 2) Civilian employees had ranks. Naturally, the military had a different structure. Takayama Masakichi's civilian employee rank is unknown.
    Depending on the source, Takayama murdered between 12 ~ 40 Chinese prisoners in order to perfect his killing technique.

PS: The magazine showing a sailor is the referenced 1942 issue; the magazine article showing children practicing Takayama Ryu is from a 1940 Shin Budō issue.

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shin Gunto   Shin Gunto  

Attached Images Attached Images Shin Gunto  Shin Gunto  Shin Gunto 

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast