Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Shin Gunto 95: Help with Arsenal Stamps

Article about: Hi all! This is my first post. I have joined this forum to hopefully get some help identifying the arsenal stamps on my Shin Gunto NCO sword. From reading the pinned thread and others I thin

Default Shin Gunto 95: Help with Arsenal Stamps

Hi all!
    This is my first post. I have joined this forum to hopefully get some help identifying the arsenal stamps on my Shin Gunto NCO sword. From reading the pinned thread and others I think I have narrowed this sword down a bit. I believe this to be a Shin Gunto 95 with an aluminum handle. My question is: Can anyone help identify the middle arsenal stamp? I think this would be the arsenal inspection mark? It looks like there is a mark but I can't make out what it could be. Actually, confirmation on all of the arsenal marks and any additional info would be greatly appreciated. The serial number on the sword and scabbard match so that is a plus.
    A little back story on the sword: My grandpa bought this for me at a gun show when I was 10. This would have been in Texas in 89. I immediately went out and chopped a tree limb with it. It was taken away and given back when I was 15 I have since tried to take better care of it. Any advice as to care of the blade and oiling it will also be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I will try to upload images instead of PDF files.Shin Gunto 95: Help with Arsenal StampsShin Gunto 95: Help with Arsenal StampsShin Gunto 95: Help with Arsenal StampsShin Gunto 95: Help with Arsenal Stamps

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    We do have members that will be able to assist you with your search for information.
    Stu, Bob, Guy and a few others here know quite a bit about the markings that you are researching.
    Your photos are quite small and can not be opened in another window for better viewing. I generally post my photos at about 250. kb or so. Here is a thread on the uploading of photos to this forum, although it is a lengthy thread, you need only really read the first 4 or 5 posts to be able to accomplish this.
    New picture posting feature - How to guide !
    Welcome again and I wish you luck in finding out what you wish to know.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ok, I have saved the files in a larger format. Hopefully these will be more clear. Also, forgot to mention the serial number. The numbers on the blade and scabbard throat are 94625.
    Thanks for the help!!Shin Gunto 95: Help with Arsenal StampsShin Gunto 95: Help with Arsenal StampsShin Gunto 95: Help with Arsenal StampsShin Gunto 95: Help with Arsenal StampsShin Gunto 95: Help with Arsenal Stamps

Looks like Kokura arsenal, [can't clearly see ... maybe 東 for Tokyo], Ijima stamp.

Here's a nice guide by Mr. Ohmura. Your's looks like #3 in the attached chart, below.

Guide for the attached image:

Right stamp: Supervisor Arsenal trademark. [Yours: Tōkyō Artillery Arsenal trademark (AKA "Kokura" stamp) "Four cannonball" mark. The artillery arsenal was reorganized by the arsenal after the Great Kantō Earthquake (1923). Continuation use was carried out at "Army Arsenal Tōkyō Factory". (1923 - March, 1940).

Central stamp: Inspection mark (the last manufacture responsibility). [Yours: I cannot clearly see it. Probably for Tokyo; if that is the case, it would be Army Arsenal Tōkyō Factory - Tōkyō First Army Arsenal inspection mark: "Tō".]

Left stamp: Private sector sword company trademark. [Yours: Ījima Tōken Seisakusho]

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shin Gunto 95: Help with Arsenal Stamps  

Guy,
    Thanks for the quick ID!! Any idea on a general range for a manufacture date? Also, I am looking for advice on how to knock the rust spots down on the blade and any general upkeep. I would like to clean it up as much as possible with out having it cleaned by an expert. I understand that can be expensive.

Quote by MrFalcon View Post
    Guy,
    Thanks for the quick ID!! Any idea on a general range for a manufacture date? Also, I am looking for advice on how to knock the rust spots down on the blade and any general upkeep. I would like to clean it up as much as possible with out having it cleaned by an expert. I understand that can be expensive.
    I don't have any experience with these types of blades, so I'll leave dating and maintenance to those who have the knowledge. Your blade is machined and oil tempered with no hamon [it is not "differentially" tempered and quenched in water]. I had one, once .... but let my batto instructor use it to cut a living tree branch (he had cut oak training swords while I held them, so no worries as to his competence). However, when he made contact with the branch, the blade bent forward along the line of the edge, so that it's shape looked similar to a kukri or yagatan.

Read Ohmura's site re Type-95 blades.

--Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shin Gunto 95: Help with Arsenal Stamps  

?

Hello and welcome. The answers you seek are contained in the pinned article on the IJA Type 95 NCO sword ...

IJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info

The fuchi stampings are read from left to right when the sword is held with tip toward the floor.

Maker ... Iijima for the Tokyo First Arsenal,
    Small stamping in middle of the three ... Tokyo First Arsenal inspection stamp
    Stacked cannonballs ... stamp of the Kokura Arsenal who administered the NCO program in it's early stages but did not actually produce any Type 95 swords.

Look at the serial number ... it's read with cutting edge down as are all Tokyo swords.
    If cutting edge is read when cutting edge held upward then it's a Nagoya Arsenal sword.

Take the time to read over the pinned thread carefully and you'll learn more, including how to roughly date the piece.

Cleaning is a matter of personal choice with these. I'd suggest you apply Renaissance Wax, the first couple times though it will be an all in one clean/polish process with a clean soft cotton cloth (old shirt is fine) and then see how much it has improved. It will take several applications but if done while watching a good movie the time will pass pleasantly and you'll be surprised how much better it will look.

You mentioned getting a professional to clean it. Perhaps you have heard of, and are referring to, a "polishing" of Japanese swords. That runs about 125 USD per inch of cutting edge these days and is not something that's done for a non traditionally made blade. It's for fine handmade sword blades.

You have a fine iconic example of the Japanese Army NCO sword. Clean it up somewhat and enjoy it for what it is.

Regards,
    Stu