Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

shin Gunto NCO markings.

Article about: Good morning gentlemen, I have a few questions in regards to shin guntos. 1) is it normal to find blades with no numbers? 2) handle and hilt (with markings) swapped over to a new blade. I.E.

Default shin Gunto NCO markings.

Good morning gentlemen,

I have a few questions in regards to shin guntos.

1) is it normal to find blades with no numbers?

2) handle and hilt (with markings) swapped over to a new blade. I.E. If the blade was broken or ever damaged?

3) do all scabbards come with serial numbers like blades?

Been offered a blade and heard of many stories of replicas.

Thanks
    Nika

?

1) no.
    2) ?
    3) yes.
    Photos will tell.

Regards to question 2. I mean you can see obvious markings on the handle just above the hilt. Circle with a x in the middle, middle marking is a Japanese word, and the last being 3circles and a middle circle.

I just wondered if you cannot see a number on the blade or cannot see under the handle. Could it be a family blade with a NCO hilt and handle attached.

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question.

?

NCO shingunto , dosnt have family/old blades mounted. They are all factory made with out any folding and hardning of the edge.
    The fakes has all the stamps, you meantioned.

Nika,

Gunto said it all. Here's a couple of pics of a legit NCO gunto to compare.shin Gunto NCO markings.shin Gunto NCO markings.

?

You might also benefit by reading over the thread on the Type 95 NCO swords pinned above.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Here's a link to it ...

IJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info

Regards,
    Stu

I have seen one NCO with a poorly made hand forged blade. That was many years ago and may have been a replacement.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

I've been collecting these for years, and as with Bob, i have seen 2 such "custom" pieces.
    One had a Seki stamped blade that was signed, the other had a Star stamped Gendiato.
    I call them custom as they are not the normal thing to come across, and i believe they were period assembled, as i cannot imagine why anyone post war would bother to do this. This is just my opinion and anything is possible, so i could be wrong about this.

I have also seen the first of the wooden handled issues with no serial numbers on either the blade or scabbard.
    I guess yours is the Aluminium handled version going by the Arsenal stamps you describe.

Perhaps you could post some pictures of your sword to shed some more light on this or of the blade/tang if disassembled.
    Also they would help to determine if yours is a genuine piece, as alot of fakes are going around and some have good quality arsenal stampings on them.

Hey Chaps,

Thanks once again for all the answers and the information in regards to these type of swords. I seen so much information that i spent too much time looking at the finer details. So the main things to really look for are matching numbers on blade and scabbard. Also the markings on the handle just above the hilt.

When its a not a NCO its best to check under the handle for the blade makers name.

I am currently looking at another sword which is a Type98. With no markings once again. Supposedly a Officers sword. Have asked for more photographs just waiting on a email reply. Wanting on close-ups of the blade, under then handle etc.

shin Gunto NCO markings.shin Gunto NCO markings.shin Gunto NCO markings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast