Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation

Article about: Forum members, I have the opportunity to buy this Shin-Gunto Sword. Looking at the red-blue tassel it appears to be a Japanese officers sword. The blade length is 27 inches or 69cm. It has b

Default Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation

Forum members,

I have the opportunity to buy this Shin-Gunto Sword.

Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation

Looking at the red-blue tassel it appears to be a Japanese officers sword. The blade length is 27 inches or 69cm. It has binding to the hilt over ray skin and the tang is signed apparently by ‘Kaneyoshi’ - I am unfamiliar with the makers. The sword is dated ‘September 1941’, has no arsenal marks apart from a small Nagoya acceptance stamp.

Do any of the sword experts see a problem from the picures? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluationShin-Gunto Sword for evaluationShin-Gunto Sword for evaluationShin-Gunto Sword for evaluationShin-Gunto Sword for evaluationShin-Gunto Sword for evaluationShin-Gunto Sword for evaluation

?

Blue and brown company grade officers tassel.

Looks to be in overall good condition.

++++ looks good
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

I would like to see better photos of the tang. Then I could verify the maker and date. To be made in 1941 it would have to have this date: 昭和十六 -- Showa 16 year.

There were 5 wartime smiths named Kaneyoshi (perhaps more?):

松原 兼吉 (Matsubara Kaneyoshi) [Jo-Saku level smith: Upper Level]
    小谷 包義 (Kotani Kaneyoshi) 1 [Jo-Saku level smith: Upper Level]
    河合 兼義 (Kawai Kaneyoshi) 2 [Chu-Saku level smith: Medium Level]
    岡田 兼義 (Okada Kaneyoshi) 4 [Chu-Saku level smith: Medium Level]
    吉田 兼吉(Yoshida Kaneyoshi) 5

Regarding the numbers behind the smith's name:
    Quote by Japanese Sword Index
    6th Shinsaku Nihonto Denrankai (新作日本刀展覽會, 1941) were reported at Nihon Kendo Oyobi Token (日本劍道及刀劍) by Hagio Takahashi. From Special Honor Seats to the 5th seat (S: 特別名譽席(鍛刀總匠), 1: 國工, 2: 準國工, 3:優秀, 4:佳作, 5: 新進), about 250 smiths were given.
    source
    The levels of the competition were:
    特別名譽席(鍛刀總匠) -- Special Honored Position
    1: 國工 -- National Artisan
    2: 準國工 -- Semi-national Artisan
    3: 優秀 -- Superior
    4: 佳作 -- Honorable Mention
    5: 新進 -- Up-and-Coming

--Guy

Thank you Guy, very interesting. I do not have the Sword in hand at the moment, I will ask the seller if they can clarify the text on the tang.

Neil

Looks good to me as well. I took the liberty of rotating one photo and enhancing it to accentuate the black painted assembly numbers perhaps Guy can help with these If I am seeing correctly the number closest to the end of the tang is the number 8 you might also ask the seller if any of the Seppa (Blade washers) or Tsuba (Hand-guard) are stamped with a number ending with 8 ? This is not always the case but might confirm that the sword was an all original assembly.Nice looking sword!
    Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shin-Gunto Sword for evaluation  

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    ... perhaps Guy can help with these If I am seeing correctly the number closest to the end of the tang is the number 8 ...
    Thanks Geoff. ..... Gee ... that looks like it could-maybe-might-perhaps (not certain) be:

一四七八

That third number is pretty faint, but I think 1, 4, & 8 are correct.

--Guy

Well you guys have pretty good eyesight..I see nothing :-)

Thank you both Geoff and Guy.

If that number sequence is correct, as a non-expert, what exactly would it indicate? Nothing to do with the stated 1941 (showa 16 year).

Would it confirm the maker or date of manufacture?

Neil

?

The numbers is for assembly purpose.

A beautiful sword in fine condition. A shame that it's certainly fascinating history will have to remain forever unknown. A nice addition to any Japanese wartime display.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast