Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Show and Tell 2: My beautiful officer's katana

Article about: This is a little picture heavy, but I wanted everyone to see my pride and joy. A few years ago I was contacted by a gentleman who saw a flyer I had up advertising my martial arts school and

Default Show and Tell 2: My beautiful officer's katana

This is a little picture heavy, but I wanted everyone to see my pride and joy. A few years ago I was contacted by a gentleman who saw a flyer I had up advertising my martial arts school and he wondered if I was interested in antique swords too. (of course!)

Of course I said yes and agreed to meet him at his house. He brought out what ended up being a shorted 15th century tachi (which sadly I had to sell to pay for vehicle repairs) and this one which I refuse to get rid of.

It is one of the most impressive officer's katanas I've seen. Despite having the seki stamp, it is signed Ando Kanemoto and is a handmade piece. The hamon is clear the fittings are perfect, the same is in great condition, the saya has a little damage, but nothing major. It had remains of it's leather covering, but it wasn't enough to refurbish.

He was moving out of state and didn't want to bring a lot with so besides the two swords, I ended up leaving with two Filipino machetes, one had the bringback tag still attached, a functional replica Colt Navy revolver, a rifle, some reference books on swords I even got a 36" wood lathe!

The last picture posted is a copy of Kanemoto's signature in a book that someone sent me, but I don't know which book that is.

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show and Tell 2: My beautiful officer's katana   Show and Tell 2: My beautiful officer's katana  

Show and Tell 2: My beautiful officer's katana   Show and Tell 2: My beautiful officer's katana  

Show and Tell 2: My beautiful officer's katana   Show and Tell 2: My beautiful officer's katana  

Show and Tell 2: My beautiful officer's katana  

?

Default Re: Show and Tell 2: My beautiful officer's katana

Very nice. I have recently aquired a taste for these. No expert but I like what I see. Better pics of the blade possibly?

I did not see the seki stamp. Is that the Kokuin deal or what?

Regards

PS> Now I want a sarute/tassel too.

Regards

msghomemaintenance
    ?

very nice sword mike.
    btw which martial arts do you teach?

The seki stamp is faintly seen above and to the right of the upper mekugi-ana. The picture of the book is for the signature reference only. Mine does not contain the kokuin.

Since you mentioned it drdata, the strangest part of this is the tassel. It happens to be a Naval tassel on an Army sword. At first I thought it was a faded field grade tassel, but it is solid brown. I could come up with lots of theories why this appears on the sword, but there is no way to tell for sure. I feel comfortable saying it is original to the sword and not a later addition.

I forgot to mention earlier that the saya is laquered wood and not metal. The quality of the sword persuaded me to think the tassel was for a field grade officer since I wouldn't guess someone of lower rank would possess something like this.

To answer your question MSG, for the past 7 years, I have been training and teaching European martial arts. Specifically, medieval Italian swordsmanship. I study from a surviving manuscript written in the early 1400s and primarily use the two handed longsword, but have experience with the dagger, single handed sword and pole arms.

I do demos for schools, scouting groups and renaissance faires. Without getting too off topic (too late I guess) I have attached a picture of a promo photo of me from a couple years ago.

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show and Tell 2: My beautiful officer's katana  

msghomemaintenance
    ?

Quote by mmerc20 View Post
    To answer your question MSG, for the past 7 years, I have been training and teaching European martial arts. Specifically, medieval Italian swordsmanship. I study from a surviving manuscript written in the early 1400s and primarily use the two handed longsword, but have experience with the dagger, single handed sword and pole arms.

I do demos for schools, scouting groups and renaissance faires. Without getting too off topic (too late I guess) I have attached a picture of a promo photo of me from a couple years ago.

Mike
    thats pretty cool, im into martial arts but only ju jitsu and systema.
    I will let you get back on topic lol