Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Something a little different.

Article about: Hey everyone, Just thought i would post something a little different, Japanese but neither ww1 or 2, infact its a great deal older. Yajiri (arrow head) ground dug by a friend of mine in japa

Default Something a little different.

Hey everyone,

Just thought i would post something a little different, Japanese but neither ww1 or 2, infact its a great deal older.

Yajiri (arrow head) ground dug by a friend of mine in japan in 2004 and is believed to be an Edo peroid peice.

Made of forged steel, dark patina and light rust on tang, the buisness end as you can see has a fair amount of surface rust, only a tiny spot of pitting. I could remove this rust but really with something this old its best left as is, i simply apply a light film of Choji oil to it every month.

Cheers-

Darren.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Something a little different.   Something a little different.  

Something a little different.   Something a little different.  

Something a little different.  

?

Default Re: Something a little different.

now that is different! great item thats cool!thanks for sharing it.

Thanks Pammy, i think its quite a nice piece too, had it a fare few years.

Seems to attract dust like you wouldnt beleive so i now keep it in a glass case.

Cheers-

?

thats pretty old do you have an ide of the age?

Hey pammy,

My friend beleived it was an Edo peroid peice. This Yajiri was ground dug in a feild and was believed to be of early 1600's, this type of arrow head is definately not the kind you would see in temples or shrines, its a war arrow. It is surprisingly heavy for its size, slim and still has its edge, this type of arrow head i beleive is refferd to as the Willow leaf form.

It could have been used in any number of battles but these things are hard to research having no signiture, stamps or the like. One can only go on the few books that are around.
    It would have had a rather long cane shaft but as far as i know he found nothing with it, probably rotted away long ago.

Cheers-

Darren.
    Last edited by Darren Lillington; 04-20-2010 at 12:01 PM.

?

you did a good thing ,you saved it from disintergrating and i figure if you ever wanted to donate/sell a museum would love to have it!excusee my spelling its bad!! something that old sky can be the limit as a lot of people collect old swords knives and anything metal that old it indead rare. that just from what i see on these shows i whatch people are interested in that stuff,and for you to save it!!thats great... if someone on here can not figure it out like ade or someone else i would send it somewere to have it checked so you would no excatly what you have,either way iys a great find my freind thanks again for sharing it!

?

Hi Darren , That is a super artifact your friend found , and must be a rare find . I have no knowledge of these so cannot comment on the item itself , but very nice to see , thanks
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks Alan,

They are indeed quite rare, witch was why i was very surprised when he told me he found one. Sure there are one or two places where you can buy japanese arrow heads but not of this type.

The ones ive seen for sale are more of the decorative temple offering type and not made for battle witch is what makes this one rather rare. Info unfortunately is rather scarce and as mentiond before there are only a few books that im aware of but are in japanese.

I'll see if i can find out a little more about this peice and post what find. A few more pics coming soon, just got to upload them.

Cheers-

Darren.