Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stamp on kabuto-gane

Article about: This is from the same sword i post the other day for the tang translation. Sorry I did not ask about the stamp markings on the hilt,pommel,kabuto-gane.Are the stamps arsenal? I can not find

Default Stamp on kabuto-gane

This is from the same sword i post the other day for the tang translation. Sorry I did not ask about the stamp markings on the hilt,pommel,kabuto-gane.Are the stamps arsenal? I can not find information or pictures of other swords with the marking. Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stamp on kabuto-gane   Stamp on kabuto-gane  

Stamp on kabuto-gane  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Sorry, even though you have some very high-resolution photos, I cannot make out the kanji. Perhaps the Tokyo Kokura stamp:

The one I can clearly make out is in photo#1, which is a wide 5-pointed star.

--Guy

?

Frankly I can't see them well enough to offer an opinion but will remind you that several maker and arsenal marks are shown in the pinned Type 95 NCO thread above and could perhaps be of assistance when your sword is viewed/compared in hand.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    ... The one I can clearly make out is in photo#1, which is a wide 5-pointed star.

--Guy

Hello Guy ... you sharp eyed youngster ... as mentioned above I can't really see it but will comment that the Tokyo Arsenal mark is a five pointed star. It's shown in the pinned thread I mentioned earlier.

Regards,
    Stu

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the tip. The star (double-stamped) on the OP's sword looks like the broad-base Tokyo star but without the circles in the center.

--Guy

Stu and Guy thank you for all of your insite when it comes to any Japanese items. The blade is a Nagoya blade. Would the hilt come from a different arsenal? And why so many stamps, are they different inspectors? Marty

?

First stamp from left , looks like the one unidentified in the book military swords 1868-1945 fig. 62 xxxii and next is NA ,and the single is factory stamp from Chuo Kogyo Co. From 1936-45.

Inspection and acceptances stamps on kabutogane is not common.
    Last edited by Gunto; 01-25-2014 at 11:29 AM.

?

Quote by Gunto View Post
    First stamp from left , looks like the one unidentified in the book military swords 1868-1945 fig. 62 xxxii and next is NA ,and the single is factory stamp from Chuo Kogyo Co. From 1936-45.

Inspection and acceptances stamps on kabutogane is not common.
    Hi Thomas,

Thank you for that info.

Regards,
    Stu

Thank you for your vast knowledge. Why do or did they stamp the kabutogane if it is not a common practice? I have not seen any others on the internet. Marty

- - ------- - -