Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sword blade

Article about: Hi guys was at my local Antique shop and they had this blade. Any help telling me if it's worth buying would be great. Thanks guys

?

Bob he wants $20 for it

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Bob he wants $20 for it
    That certainly is not much. From the images, I would consider it worthless. However, everything is up to you and what you want to do with it. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

I would also point out that the fuller stops way short of where it should, at both ends, and that the point is wrongly shaped. Reproductions of Japanese blades have been around long enough for them to show genuine age related wear. The habaki is a one piece copy of a two piece style normally found on Koto blades..... So I would say a modern repro. of a traditional sword.

?

Guys thanks for all the opinions I'll pass them on to the owner of the shop thank you again Gary

Quote by DaveR View Post
    I would also point out that the fuller stops way short of where it should, at both ends, and that the point is wrongly shaped. Reproductions of Japanese blades have been around long enough for them to show genuine age related wear. The habaki is a one piece copy of a two piece style normally found on Koto blades..... So I would say a modern repro. of a traditional sword.
    As I stated, this is a damaged and altered blade. Bo-hi do not always go to the habaki or through the nakago. The kissaki was likely also damaged and poorly reshaped. The alterations are the kind found on blades that were sai-ha or burnt and retempered. They are also the type of thing exported to the West in the Meiji period.
    BOB

Quote by DaveR View Post
    The habaki is a one piece copy of a two piece style normally found on Koto blades.
    Your statement is incorrect as two piece habaki are very common on blades from all periods. It is traditional for a Koto would have a gold foil, not silver, habaki.
    BOB

?

Bob thank you so much for your time and expertise. Gary

?

My point was more that it was one piece fake of a two piece Habaki............................

?

Dave I thank you also I have passed both views onto the owner of the shop it's in his hands on what he wants to do with it .Gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2