Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Tang ID Help

Article about: Greetings everyone, One of my buddies recently bought this sword for \\$40 and he would like to know some information on it. He thinks it's quite a bit older than WWII, but I thought I would p

RZM
    ?

Default Tang ID Help

Greetings everyone,

One of my buddies recently bought this sword for $40 and he would like to know some information on it. He thinks it's quite a bit older than WWII, but I thought I would post it here anyway. Can anyone help with the ID of the markings? Any help is appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tang ID Help  

法城寺源貞廣
    Hōjōji Minamoto Sadahiro

Another:

source

According to Index of Japanese Swordsmiths, the only one in the book who signed Hōjōji Minamoto Sadahiro worked from 1688-1704.

--Guy

Quote by RZM View Post
    Greetings everyone,

One of my buddies recently bought this sword for $40 and he would like to know some information on it. He thinks it's quite a bit older than WWII, but I thought I would post it here anyway. Can anyone help with the ID of the markings? Any help is appreciated!
    I'll give him $160 .... so he can make a 400% profit!!

Great purchase ..... what does the rest of the blade look like? It might be worth only $40 if someone wire-brushed it.

--Guy

?

Yes , we would very much like to see more pics of the blade if possible .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

RZM
    ?

Thanks for the info! The rest of the blade looks as rough as the tang. It looks like it might have been found in a barn or attic. The handle is missing as well. I will try to get more pictures of the tang. Thanks again!

A medium ranked smith(chu-jo saku)from the Edo Hojoji group. His most productive period was in the Genroku Period that began in 1688.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by RZM View Post
    Thanks for the info! The rest of the blade looks as rough as the tang. It looks like it might have been found in a barn or attic. The handle is missing as well. I will try to get more pictures of the tang. Thanks again!
    The tang does not look rough to me. It appears to have a natural patina that should NEVER be cleaned unless a professional removes red rust.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.