Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tarakan Japanese Flag signed !st May 1945 by 2nd/48th AIF

Article about: I picked this up from an 89 year old vet today. It was captured at point 102 Tarakan island on the 1st May 1945 by B company 2nd 48th Batt. (the most decorated battalion of the Second AIF).

?

Default Tarakan Japanese Flag signed !st May 1945 by 2nd/48th AIF

I picked this up from an 89 year old vet today.
    It was captured at point 102 Tarakan island on the 1st May 1945 by B company 2nd 48th Batt. (the most decorated battalion of the Second AIF).
    It has been signed by a lot of these blokes. Tom 'Diver' Derrick VC ( Australia's greatest soldier) was to lose his life there 2 weeks later.
    This old chap still has a Japanese sword he picked up as well as many other items.
    He also has many items from Hiroshima, as he was in the occupation force after the bomb, a very interesting man.
    Anyway, the flag is a ripper, and i thought i would share this story with you.
    I have no idea what the Japanese writing says.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tarakan Japanese Flag signed !st May 1945 by 2nd/48th AIF   Tarakan Japanese Flag signed !st May 1945 by 2nd/48th AIF  

Tarakan Japanese Flag signed !st May 1945 by 2nd/48th AIF  

?

Default Re: Tarakan Japanese Flag signed !st May 1945 by 2nd/48th AIF

Really nice piece. The association to the unit is really great.
    Good luck with acquiring the other items.
    SteveR

Hello-a very important and impressive object-have you had any advice on its conservation?-my uncle was at Tarakan with 2/24th Btn, Dad at Balikpapan with 2/3rd Antitank Regt.

?

Tobruk very nice flag with a great history. Gary

Nice piece of history you have Tobruk.

ERIC

?

A very nice example , and terrific to see it`s signed by other members of the company .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Hello Lithgow, i intend to have it framed properly after advice. As i collect 2nd 48th items it MUST be well preserved for future generations. I recommend you obtain a copy of TARAKAN: AN AUSTRALIAN TRAGEDY. by Peter Stanley, a must for every Aussie that had a relative at Tarakan. I was lucky enough to be presented with Tom Derricks watch yesterday by one of his relatives, so i may include that in the flag display.

AIF
    ?

What a great piece of history!! I am amazed at the great Items that you have posted, What size is the flag?
    I also have one that was captured at Buna mission in NG by a bloke in HQ company 2/14 batt, I intend to have it framed one day too, although its a small one approx 12x12 inches its one of the ones they would tie to their rifles, I will have to dig it out and post it up.

Oh yeah almost forgot... You said you have Toms watch? Id love to see that mate!!

?

Hello AIF, sorry about the delay, the flag measures 100cm by 75cm.
    I have included a scan of Toms watch, that was given to me by Beryls (Toms wife) brother. I have this presentation on video. The band has been replaced at some stage, as Beryls father wore it till the day he died, then it was given to her brother.
    It is seen in a few photos i have of Tom.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tarakan Japanese Flag signed !st May 1945 by 2nd/48th AIF   Tarakan Japanese Flag signed !st May 1945 by 2nd/48th AIF  

AIF
    ?

Hello Tobruk, Sorry I must have missed your reply. Is that the watch he is wearing in the picture from the scrapbook?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast