Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.

Article about: I recently picked up this, what I believe is an Imperial Japanese Navy "Last Ditch" Type 99 Arisaka rifle. The Vet's family claims their father brought it back from Okinawa. It app

?

Default Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.

I recently picked up this, what I believe is an Imperial Japanese Navy "Last Ditch" Type 99 Arisaka rifle. The Vet's family claims their father brought it back from Okinawa. It appears that the receiver, where the bolt is has been broken. It has no markings other than the small Navy stamp under the mum on top of the receiver. There are no serial numbers but a "63" and other markings/characters around the bolt and the receiver, but they appear to be matching . The rifle seems to be crudely put together, the metal parts are very rough, and It does not appear that the Type 99 and the chrysanthemum was never stamped on the top. There is also no sling swivels and no dustcover. Any thoughts on this rifle would be greatly appreciated.
    There also seems to be a "brand" with characters that I would like some help in the translation and/or any thoughts as to why this may have been placed/stamped/Branded on the stock. A name, a Unit, a slogan... etc? Also above the Brand seems to be 3-4 "Lines, notches" with a few Characters painted/written on the stock. Any thought on this would also be appreciated.

Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.Thought about Navy Last Ditch Type 99 and Help in translation translation on stock.

?

Looks like a training rifle.
    Regards,
    John

?

Could it be Chinese writing? And any thoughts on how it would have gotten there?

?

It's likely a school or academy marking - It is a training rifle.
    Regards,
    John

MAP
    ?

For what it is worth, I asked my wife (native Chinese speaker). Unfortunately do to the rotation of the pictures and working from a cell photo it was a bit of a pain because every time I turned the photo to view it kept on rotating the wrong way...LoL

Anyway, she confirmed some of the writing is Japanese in the long box. But she did confirm that the circle very very very roughly translates to "Teach".

So as John said, a training rifle.

What I don't understand it the bolt, part looks sheared off but other parts don't. If this truly was do to an exploded bolt, the last person who shot this probably didn't live to tell what happened and probably had the internals of the bolt and safety take off his face.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I agree a navy training rifle. Finding that missing safety will be extremely difficult

?

Thanks for the info. Yep. I'm sure the safety is a goner!
    Thanks again.

MAP
    ?

I correct my earlier statement regarding the possible broken bolt. It is not cracked due to a malfunction. Just crude workmanship.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

(教)
    (Teaching)

實包発射ヲ禁止
    Shooting Live Ammunition Forbidden

In white paint:
    教二一一
    Teaching 211

--Guy

?

Thanks for all of your help.