Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Translation HELP Request for 63rd INF Soldier bring-back Rising Sun Flag from the PI

Article about: Hi all, I would sure appreciate anyone's help with this one! It is silk and Nittobo marked, I got it directly from the Soldier, SGT Frank Schlepp who was in the 6th ENG BN, 63rd ID, 6th DIV.

Default Translation HELP Request for 63rd INF Soldier bring-back Rising Sun Flag from the PI

Hi all,

I would sure appreciate anyone's help with this one! It is silk and Nittobo marked, I got it directly from the Soldier, SGT Frank Schlepp who was in the 6th ENG BN, 63rd ID, 6th DIV. He told me he picked it up at Japanese airfield in the PI. I hope I have the orientation correct?? Thanks in advance!!

Jean
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Translation HELP Request for 63rd INF Soldier bring-back Rising Sun Flag from the PI   Translation HELP Request for 63rd INF Soldier bring-back Rising Sun Flag from the PI  

Translation HELP Request for 63rd INF Soldier bring-back Rising Sun Flag from the PI   Translation HELP Request for 63rd INF Soldier bring-back Rising Sun Flag from the PI  

Translation HELP Request for 63rd INF Soldier bring-back Rising Sun Flag from the PI   Translation HELP Request for 63rd INF Soldier bring-back Rising Sun Flag from the PI  

The flag needs to be turned 180º with the main heading on top.

祈武運長久
    Inori Bu'un Chōkyū
    Prayers for continued luck in the fortunes of war

贈間島金之助君 壮途
    Zo Kantō Kinnosuke-kun Sōto
    Presented to Mr. Majima * Kinnosuke, ambitious undertaking

I cannot read the other two lines -- too cursive for me.

-- Guy

* This surname can also be pronounced Majima/Mashima/Kantō. I just checked Google and it seems more references to Majima.

Seems more like an early postwar sendoff presented to a business colleague transferred elsewhere from Tokyo.

Nick,

I don't understand how this could be post-war? Nittobo was established long before WWII and I got it directly from the vet who picked it up in the PI??

- - ------- - -

Thank you Guy!!

?

Vets do sometimes tell stories. No one likes to call them on it because we have great respect for them, but they're still human. No claim that is or isn't the case here, but if hard evidence contradicts someone's story, I'd be inclined to believe the evidence. I'm not taking any sides here, I can't read most of the flag and I'm not familiar with the Nittobo company.

Even if the person is being honest, they can be wrong. For example; I've heard of people who offered to frame vet's war trophy medals, only to switch them with fakes. If the vet wanted to sell them later he could swear they were real but that wouldn't change facts. Or a family member could have lost some item and tried to replace it without the vet knowing. I first became interested in militaria when I found a Japanese flag my grandfather had brought home. I took it to school where it was stolen. If I could have found one to replace it somewhere I certainly would have. Feeling bad about losing that I've since built up a whole collection of flags to replace it.

Again, I'm not accusing anyone, just saying that stories aren't always facts.