Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Translation request: commemorative markings on 75x497R projectile

Article about: Hi all, Firstly, thanks for the translation! I see it is as I expected, a text to commemorate the end of the war, or rather, the Japanese defeat. Secondly, man, you guys aren't making it any

?

Default Translation request: commemorative markings on 75x497R projectile

Hi,

I have a quick translation request, prior to having this projectile sandblasted before rebanding it and fully restoring it...
    Shown is a Japanese 75x497R HE-HV projectile with commemorative markings.

The leftmost column with small Kanji ideograms is fully clear, it is a Showa date, being: "Showa - year 20, month 8, day 15", being August 15th, 1945, the day of the Japanese surrender.

I am very curious to learn what the other Kanji ideograms mean. I would expect them to commemorate the end of the war and/or the Japanese surrender.

Can someone translate them for me?

Kind regards, and thanks in advance,
    Olaf

PS: it hurts me somewhat to sandblast it, the markings are really nice, but I am going to bring the projectile back to its original looks. Definitely mixed feelings on that one!

Translation request: commemorative markings on 75x497R projectileTranslation request: commemorative markings on 75x497R projectileTranslation request: commemorative markings on 75x497R projectileTranslation request: commemorative markings on 75x497R projectileTranslation request: commemorative markings on 75x497R projectileTranslation request: commemorative markings on 75x497R projectile

?

Sorry, I can't help you with the translation, although there are people on this forum who can do.

I would urge you to obey your better instincts and do not have this artifact sandblasted. If you do so it will destroy all the originality and most of its historical interest. As it is, it has a beautiful patina that contributes a great part of its appeal (and value, I would add). I say this in the knowledge that I have succumbed to the temptation to 'improve' things - polish, repaint etc. which I now know were acts of sacrilege over which I blush for my younger self.

Regards,

Philip

MAP
    ?

Agree with Philip. I would not sandblast it either. If this writing is period, it is a piece of history and IMHO should be left untouched.

All in all, I think it looks amazing as it is!! Would look fantastic in a diplay with other Pacific Theater items.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Rod
    ?

I agree with Michael and Philip. This can't be the only shell of its kind but it is the only one like it.

I think the writing you are curious about says "Do not sandblast".

Regards, Rod

MAP
    ?

Quote by rod View Post
    i agree with michael and philip. This can't be the only shell of its kind but it is the only one like it.

I think the writing you are curious about says "do not sandblast".

Regards, rod
    lol!!!!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Translation request: commemorative markings on 75x497R projectileHope this help.

?

IF this was mine I would carefully reband it as is,this can be done cold by swaging on a premachined copper ring and resurfacing in a lathe..that way you get your driving bands(which I too would want)without damaging the very important finish this unique piece of history has on its surface.

As Mr. Chen says, it is a memorial to the lost war.

記念
    Maké-ikusa Kinen
    Commemorating Losing the War

昭和二十年八月十五日

--Guy

Don't do it.

?

Hello Olaf,

What you have is unique. To do anything with it other than appreciate it for what it is would be disappointing IMHO. Perhaps leave it as is for a few months and then see if you still feel the need to refurbish.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast