Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Translation request: commemorative markings on 75x497R projectile

Article about: Hi all, Firstly, thanks for the translation! I see it is as I expected, a text to commemorate the end of the war, or rather, the Japanese defeat. Secondly, man, you guys aren't making it any

?

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for the translation! I see it is as I expected, a text to commemorate the end of the war, or rather, the Japanese defeat.

Secondly, man, you guys aren't making it any easier on me.
    I too very much appreciate the (historical) value of the painted markings on it. I'm not sure when they were applied to the projectile, but I am guessing not too long after WW2.
    I obtained it directly from Japan, and I'm sure the writing is original and contemporary. It's a pretty item and I too like it. As you may know, a lot of artillery projectiles that come out of Japan have commemorative markings. This is one of the nicest ones I have obtained.
    Now, the above is the "in favour of preserving" motivation.
    But... my collection is Japanese (and Chinese) artillery ammunition up to the end of WW2. I do (sometimes extensive) restoration work, and one of the activities is rebanding such projectiles. I actually have some original bands for this type of projectile and I know how to reband them nicely. I've already done one of this kind, but that one has three copper driving bands (with the third one being an upper driving band, near the bourrelet), whereas this one is of the two copper bands type, with a machined upper band.
    I can reband it without causing too much damage to the paint job, but my entire collection is centered as much as possible around getting items as authentic as possible. That's where my real issue lies: this projectile is in very good body condition and would look excellent too when it's fully restored, and I don't have a collection that's centered around "any kind of period items", but rather towards the "authentically looking artillery items". That puts me in a difficult spot.
    At present the projectile is at my mate's house, lined up for being sandblasted, along with two other projectiles that will definitely be sandblasted (rusty bodies; no markings), it was due to be sandblasted tomorrow evening. I'll sleep a night over it. I might follow Stu's suggestion, as I still have several restoration projects lined up (though this is one that I can easily finish, in relatively little time!) I might wait a bit with the decision. The only issue with that is that in a few months time, the situation hasn't really changed, so I'll be faced with the same decision, using the same parameters...

Tough one. I'm not sure what to do yet.

Either way: the translations and all of your pleas for preservation are very well appreciated. If only I'd had another projectile of this same kind in equal or better condition, the decision would be a whole lot easier...

Cheers,
    Olafo

?

Quote by ogreve View Post
    ... I might wait a bit with the decision. The only issue with that is that in a few months time, the situation hasn't really changed, so I'll be faced with the same decision, using the same parameters...
    Unless you have found another to take it's place and that was what I had in the back of my mind. A tough choice indeed. Clearly you know your field, and I do not, so can you take an educated guess as to the chances of finding another suitable piece in a reasonable length of time?

Regards,
    Stu

?

I would find another one and keep this one as is!!!!
    Just my 2 centavos.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Hi Stu (and others),
    That's the precise issue.... I DO know this field well, and this projectile is not easy to come by and much less so in good condition. One sees these projectiles at times (I have found and bought 3 of them in Japan in the last 5 years) but they tend to come without driving bands and/or in very severely rusted condition.
    Both are conditions that I can handle well in the restorations. The first one I got is a 3-copper DB one that required body putty (and rebanding), the one shown in this thread is the second one I found (years after the first one) and it only requires rebanding (well, and repainting for a full restoration ). A 3rd one is still incoming, it has the original driving bands (2-copper bands version) but the projectile body is very strongly rusted and will require a severe body filler job.
    The 'golden' one shown here is precisely that: it is the only one that has a great body condition, which should have original arsenal markings under that golden paint, right above the location where the upper DB was. It also is the only one that has a fully original pristine fuze thread (the one of the first projectile has been fully reworked by me and works again, but on the 3rd one the thread is close to completely gone). What I hadn't written before (because it wasn't relevant then) is that I also have an auxiliary fuze for it, and that screws in nicely all the way in the golden one.
    I'd really like to be able to use the golden one for demonstrating as well as possible what this type of projectile should look like.
    At times (maybe once every 2-3 years or so) one sees this projectile in the USA, but just about always very expensively. Chances of finding a better one in Japan are slim too.
    Not sure what to do, but it may be a long wait until the next one comes around, or surely enough if someday I do sandblast it, the next day a better one appears. :/

Cheers,
    Olafo

PLEEEEEEZE keep it as a representative until you can find one in the condition you want. Otherwise, I'll send Sister Mary Elephant to your house to whack you with her ruler.

--Guy

Rod
    ?

Hi Olafo,

I think because most of us seek to preserve and learn from history it will not be easy to reconcile with most of the opinions here.

You said it yourself, most of the same caliber shells you find are not in as good shape as this one. I think it's safe to say this one was painted contemporaneously with the end of WW 2 or it would be in the same condition as the unloved ones. Someone preserved it in its present state for 70 years so it has meaning.

It's your call of course but it strikes me that a resin (or something similar) cast would serve just as well since what matters is a visual presentation. The fuse and bands would fit that just fine with no harm done. Just my two cents.

Regards, Rod

?

Why not restore the half of it without the writing to it's original condition and colors? On display you only see the front facing half anyway, yet you would preserve the commemorative history on the other half. It would be like getting two display rounds for the price of one.

Jim

?

Hi guys,
    Thanks again for all comments, they're much appreciated.
    For now, I'll follow Stu's suggestion and shall give it a longer 'grace' period at the very least. I'll reconsider it at a later time.
    One thing is very important though: it's not only about being a display item, but rather it's about becoming a 'demonstration item' that would be as correct as possible for that particular kind of projectile. That in turn would mean doing a full restoration, including the markings on both sides. Therefore, IF indeed it'll become a restoration, it will become a complete one, not a half-half job.
    For now the painting on the projectile is safe; I've got a lot of restoration work lined up, so there is no particular hurry with this one. In due time I'll reconsider it and then we'll see.
    Meanwhile... should anyone know of this particular (or other) kind of projectile for sale/trade, I'd be all ears!

Cheers,
    Olafo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2