MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Tsuba Questions.

Article about: Hello folks, This Tsuba was brought home by my Great Uncle, and passed down to my mom, and now to me. I just have no experience with this sort of thing, and wondered if anyone had any inform

Default Tsuba Questions.

Hello folks,

This Tsuba was brought home by my Great Uncle, and passed down to my mom, and now to me. I just have no experience with this sort of thing, and wondered if anyone had any information on this one. I have been told that they were mass produced for the occupation forces after the war, is this one of those? Also, anyone that can give me a ballpark figure on value, it would be greatly appreciated. I have no plans of selling it at this time, but it is a curiosity of mine. Any further information would be greatly appreciated!

Tsuba Questions.

Tsuba Questions.

Tsuba Questions.

Tsuba Questions.

Tsuba Questions.

Tsuba Questions.

Tsuba Questions.

?

The two happy Gods are Ebisu and Daikoku, as for age i'll have to leave that to the experts.

Tsuba are difficult to judge from pictures. However, it appears to be a 19th c. cast tsuba. I have never heard the story about tsuba being cast after the war for souvenirs for GI's. I would doubt the validity of that due to the shortage of raw materials alone at the end of the war.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

So is the kanji the maker's name?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    So is the kanji the maker's name?
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    The name is Kuniyoshi and the place he lived. The second kanji of the place is damaged and I can not read it. Maybe Guy can make it out when he stops by.
    BOB

Bob, that "kuni" looks like "Masa" to me ... and it Googles well:

山城住正吉 [花押]
    Yamashiro Jū Masakichi [Kao]
    Masakichi, Resident of Yamashiro [personal art signature]

Another by him, but the images are protected and I'm unable to post. 2nd row at Google Images looks like yours!

Third row, #3, is also by Masakichi. The Japanese questioner said he couldn't read the signature; someone responded:

右側が 「山城住」 で、左側が 「正吉」 です。
    山城国(今の京都付近) に済んでいた正吉という人の作品ということです。
    正吉の下は花押です。

Right side is "Yamashiro juu; left side is "Masakichi"
    The product of a person named Masakichi who lived in Yamashiro Kuni (now near Kyoto)
    Below Masakichi is his art signature [kao].

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Bob, that "kuni" looks like "Masa" to me ... and it Googles well:

山城住正吉 [花押]
    Yamashiro Jū Masakichi [Kao]
    Masakichi, Resident of Yamashiro [personal art signature]

Another by him, but the images are protected and I'm unable to post. 2nd row at Google Images looks like yours!

Third row, #3, is also by Masakichi. The Japanese questioner said he couldn't read the signature; someone responded:

右側が 「山城住」 で、左側が 「正吉」 です。
    山城国(今の京都付近) に済んでいた正吉という人の作品ということです。
    正吉の下は花押です。

Right side is "Yamashiro juu; left side is "Masakichi"
    The product of a person named Masakichi who lived in Yamashiro Kuni (now near Kyoto)
    Below Masakichi is his art signature [kao].

--Guy
    I was torn between Kuni and Masa as the mei is quite light. Thanks for setting this correct.
    BOB

Thank you to all for great information. I may have heard the guy I asked say they were made as souvenirs and assumed it was for the occupational forces. The lack of raw material to make such a thing makes perfect since. So it is from the 1800s and nothing mind blowing it seems. I will study around for a value now that I have a little more information.

Again thanks to all for the great info!