MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Type 100 Mortar

Article about: Hi All, I picked this up for my Japanese collection, I believe it is a type 100 Mortar, HE round, it came out of a Marines estate sale, I have seen them all shiny and painted but I like the

Default Type 100 Mortar

Hi All,
    I picked this up for my Japanese collection, I believe it is a type 100 Mortar, HE round, it came out of a Marines estate sale, I have seen them all shiny and painted but I like the been there used look, any help with the kanji would be appectiated, I am not sure where the damage on the one side came from, maybe it was fired? Thank you for any help or info.
    Type 100 MortarType 100 MortarType 100 MortarType 100 Mortar

MAP
    ?

Nice find. Just make sure it is inert?

The damage appears to be rust from sitting in damp wet place for a very very long time.

Have you ever used this website?

Japanese Type 100 81mm Mortar Round - Inert-Ord.Net
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice Japanese Type 100 Mortar many were brought home as souvenirs. BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Well I wacked it with a hammer and it didn't go off so yes it's inert! Thanks for the link, it may have been laying in a wet basement for 70 years, where these ever fired? Like maybe a dud that was picked up, any way to tell?

The stencil markings are
    九七曲兵
    97 [high] angle infantry

or more accurately for us:
    [Type] 97 mortar

曲兵 is an abbreviation for
    曲射歩兵砲
    Kyokusha Hohei-Hō
    High-angle Infantry Artillery

Here's an informative site with your Type 97 mortar round.
    And here's an informative site about Japanese military terms. Unfortunately the kanji are images and not text, so you cannot cut/paste the kanji.

--Guy

Very nice find Maximus71.

MAP
    ?

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    Well I wacked it with a hammer and it didn't go off so yes it's inert! Thanks for the link, it may have been laying in a wet basement for 70 years, where these ever fired? Like maybe a dud that was picked up, any way to tell?
    You should be able to see if you look underneath by the fins. Kind if like a proctology exam.

Should be able to see clear to the fuze with a flashlight
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Here are all the markings I can find, do any of these tell the date??
    Type 100 MortarType 100 MortarType 100 MortarType 100 MortarType 100 MortarType 100 Mortar

I see two dates:

昭十六 [1941]
    昭十四 [1939]

昭 is an abbreviation for 昭和: Showa

The last image is (probably) for 大阪 Osaka.

(大) 阪

--Guy

Thank you guy, the shell must be 39 and the cap 41.