Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Type 3 Japanese Tunic

Article about: I recently bought 2 WW2 Japanese tunics, my first venture into this area of collecting. I know what types they are, but would appreciate any input from the experts on this forum. In particul

Thanks for that information, Nick. It certainly helps explain why the debate as to whether insignia are period applied comes about. I am a bit wiser now, and will have more to go on if I see any further items.
    Cheers,
    Tony

For collectors used to German uniforms it is important to know that all Japanese uniforms generally should not have any insignia on them, if kept by the families of the original wearer. Unlike German uniforms, it is generally meaningless to discuss whether insignia were postwar added, as in principle, they all get added when coming up for sale. So if you want to get into collecting Japanese items, remember to leave your hang-ups from collecting German items at bay, as it is a totally different ballgame in this respect.

When the war ended, soldiers were required to remove their insignia before going home, and before these mementos of the war went into storage in closets at home, all sensible housewives would have freshly laundered them without the insignia. Because of high humidity, it is unthinkable to store away such uniforms without washing them first, as otherwise they will get all mouldy.

Thus all Japanese uniforms with insignia should be regarded as postwar applied. Unlike German uniforms, the Japanese norm is that even issued uniforms normally should be found without the insignia attached unless they were freshly laundered, insignia reattached extras on standby captured from the barracks, etc.

Such detachable insignia were never machine sewn onto Japanese uniforms and simply hand-sewn back on by each soldier after laundering. Therefore for collectors in Japan, there is no discussion whether insignia attachment was original or postwar applied.

Here is an interesting notice from 29th October 1943. It says that recently inquiries had increased on the correct method of attachment for collar tabs on uniforms and coats. It therefore confirmed that for warrant officers upwards, collar tabs may either be sewn on or be detachable. In other words, this officially endorsed the common practice of army officers, wearing collar tabs made to be easily detachable for laundering.

This also meant that officers did not need to have tabs for all uniforms they possessed, but only needed a couple of sets for the tunic and coat they were wearing that week.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 3 Japanese Tunic  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2