Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Type 30 Bayonet

Article about: Hello! I was hoping that I could have some help with a Christmas present I received. My in-laws appreciate my collecting of WW2 items and always try to find something unique for the holidays

Default Type 30 Bayonet

Hello! I was hoping that I could have some help with a Christmas present I received. My in-laws appreciate my collecting of WW2 items and always try to find something unique for the holidays. This year one of my gifts is a Japanese Type 30 bayonet.

I'm not at all familiar with Japanese items but have started to do some research and this one appears to be correct for the WW2 era.

The only marking I could find on the blade was an arsenal mark on the right ricasso that indicates that it was produced at the Kokura Arsenal.

The pommel has a serial number of 70612. To the left of the serial number is is a kana within a circle, but I do not know what that means. There also appears to be a stamping of a bird below the serial number.

Does the hooked quillon indicate the period of production - earlier?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Type 30 Bayonet
    Type 30 Bayonet
    Type 30 Bayonet
    Type 30 Bayonet
    Type 30 Bayonet
    Type 30 Bayonet
    Type 30 Bayonet

?

The mark indicates that it was manufactured by Koishikawa Arsenal in Tokyo friend.
    I hope this is helpful.

?

A handy link if you are getting interested in Japanese bayonets ...

www.japanesebayonets.net

Regards,
    Stu

?

Default Various Arsenal marks.

Type 30 Bayonet

Regards,
    Stu

?

I just copied that list from the linked site. It may not be up to date but I believe the Kokura mark is as it's also common the Type 95 NCO swords of that period.

Regards,
    Stu

Thank you Stu.

The site I had come across is this one: Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II

The one you posted has some good pictures to compare to.

Looks like a nice bayonet.
    When I got mine I did a bit of research at the time and if memory serves me right you are correct hooked quillion and ball on the end of the scabbard indicates pre and early ww2 production. mine has a straight cross guard, fullered blued blade which indicates mid war production. Can't remember where I found this information.
    looked mine out again after seeing this thread and mine too has some kind of symbol in front of the serial number on the pommel I have no idea what it means but am interested as well what it represents.
    All the best
    Rod

Thank you Rod! I had also read that the hooked quillion was an earlier production design.

Hooked quillion is "early to early WW2". Same with ball tipped scabbard and milled hanger loop. Kokura and Tokyo arsenal used the same emblem. The difference is WHEN it was produced. I generally refer to them all as Kokura, mostly because I am lazy and because people trying to sell me stuff want more money when they hear Tokyo.
    The Kana to the left of the Serial should be a series mark.
    The "bird" below the serial number is not a bird at all. It is kanji and is an inspection stamp.

Research all the BS I just said, I am tired and going off foggy memory.

Last edited by aurelius180; 01-19-2016 at 08:08 PM.