Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Type-5 Greatcoat markings - translation requested

Article about: Good afternoon/morning all, This just arrived from Taiwan... Possibly one of the least inspiring pieces of military kit (along with gas masks ), but I won this Type-5 Gaito (?) for absolute

?

Default Type-5 Greatcoat markings - translation requested

Good afternoon/morning all,
    This just arrived from Taiwan... Possibly one of the least inspiring pieces of military kit (along with gas masks, of course ), but I won this Type-5 Gaito (?) for absolute peanuts; just £25, plus the same again for shipping!

It’s not the shiniest example, but the real clincher for me was the date of production - Showa 9 (1934). The fabric is of superbly high quality, being almost ‘moleskin’ in feel and appearance, but also far too lightweight to offer much in the way of cold weather protection. The trace of machine-stitched rank insignia can be clearly seen at the shoulder seams, though sadly long gone.

As can be seen, the ‘B’ stamp is very well filled (plus some barely visible squiggling above it), albeit far beyond my efforts to translate. I would be very grateful, as ever, for any and all information that can be gleaned from it...

With my sincerest thanks and very best wishes to you all (and apologies to the gas mask collectors),
    Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type-5 Greatcoat markings - translation requested   Type-5 Greatcoat markings - translation requested  

Type-5 Greatcoat markings - translation requested  

Size 5, Made in 1934, Tokyo Main Depot, Type 5 (M1930), inspected by Kashimura.The first owner was a Osada, but the rest is too blurred to read.

?

Many thanks for your quick response Nick!

Having re-viewed your article regarding markings, in theory, this may contain unit marking too; frustrating that it is unclear.

My thanks again,
    Bob

Company numbers no longer got entered in the B stamping as of 5th August 1940. See here

?

So, in theory, a 1934 garment should...

My assumption is that the unit details are in column two, with the 3rd and 4th columns listing successive recipients of the coat. That said, no unit numbers appear discernible to me.

As far as I can tell, they are all names, and a 1934 garment could easily have stayed in stock for years, so the absence of company info is no cause for alarm.

?

I wasn’t alarmed at the absence, just disappointed!

Cheers,
    Bob