Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Type 98 Sword Question

Article about: I will, thanks again for your help Mr.Coleman. I just finished giving the blade a coat of renaissance wax. Thanks, Robert

Default Type 98 Sword Question

I was able to pick up this japanese sword in type 98 mounts, for a good deal below market value. As I have been wanting one for awhile now for my display and was excited to find this one. I wanted to show it here and see what you guys thought about it. I was wondering if the blade is a Showa era one or older? As the blade has two holes and no mei on the nakago but it does have the filemarks. The auction company sent the sword with the seppa all mixed up but after some playing with them I think I got them in the right order. Thanks for your help. Cheers, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 98 Sword Question   Type 98 Sword Question  

Type 98 Sword Question   Type 98 Sword Question  

Default Re: Type 98 Sword Question

I like it.

Thanks Harryamb2 for the kind words.

I like it to - Congrats.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve. All I need to do now is add a tassel to it, some of the orginals company grade tassels are prices are close to half of what I payed for this sword does anyone know where I can find a high quality reproduction of a generals tassel to display with the sword? Cheers, Robert

You have an older blade in the mounts. I can not read the kanji from your picturesd. It appears to have a heavy layer of rust on the nakago indicating the sword handle got wet at some point(likely before it was put in these mounts).
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for your reply Mr.Coleman other than the chalk like markings that is barely visable there is no visable Kanji on the nakago. What era what you think the blade is from? Thanks for your help. Cheers, Robert

It is very difficult to appraise an accurate age of the blade with just pictures. If I was to venture a guese, I would say late 17th century. After blowing up the nakago pictures, I can see that the blade is unsigned. It does appear to have remenants of a signature that was removed. It may also be your pictures. I am sorry that I can not give you more definitive information. Many times, in hand examination is what is required for an accurate opinion.
    BOB

Thanks for taking the time to look at it Mr.Coleman I highly value your opinion. It is neat to know the blade is that old as that makes it the oldest item in my collection. Thanks, Robert

Quote by TNcollector View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to look at it Mr.Coleman I highly value your opinion. It is neat to know the blade is that old as that makes it the oldest item in my collection. Thanks, Robert
    Please remember that this is a guess based upon what I can see in te photos. It is definitely older than WW2.
    BOB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast