Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Type 98 Sword for Review

Article about: I have been wanting one of these swords for awhile now and this one is going to be sold at a local auction house this weekend. If I am able to get it it would be one of my favorite pieces ri

Default Type 98 Sword for Review

I have been wanting one of these swords for awhile now and this one is going to be sold at a local auction house this weekend. If I am able to get it it would be one of my favorite pieces right on up there with my luger in my avatar. I wanted to see what Mr.Coleman and my other friends here at the forum thought about this sword. I know the pictures I have that were provided by the auction company kind of suck. The sarute is missing, but I have seen them for sale online and tassels also. I have been looking around online trying to figure out a fair market value for the sword and prices are all over the place. I am thinking if the scabbard is dent and rust free, the blade is free of any nicks or major stains and the wrap is good the sword would be easily worth $1000-1200 retail maybe more? I will be able to tell alot more about condition when the sword is in hand at the auction. I have a photo the markings on the tang but, I have a feeling it will be hard to read them in the manner they have been photographed. It is my understanding all type 98 were smith mabe blades, also what is the significance of the yellow painted characters on the tang? Also is there any thing in particular I should look for on the sword the night of the auction? Thanks for your help, friendship and time. Thanks, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 98 Sword for Review   Type 98 Sword for Review  

Type 98 Sword for Review  

Default Re: Type 98 Sword for Review

Well the were alot of things you could not see in the photos provided as suspected. The sword was a little rough around the edges and a friend that came to the auction that also wanted it so I told him to go for it. I still want one though, they are selling of a large collection of off swords and dagger and they seem to be getting nicer so maybe I will get one next month. Cheers, Robert

?

One thing I learned about auctions a long time ago and something worth remembering is "friendship ends when the auction begins". If the individual is a real friend he will continue to be after the auction is over.

Hi Robert-
    As you said, the pictures were poor. I could not read much of the signature. I can tell you that this was a genuine WW2 sword with a factory made blade. The painted characters on the nakago are assembly numbers. Post future pictures and we will try to help. Try and get a closer shot of the nakago characters. You can tell the auction house folks that the characters are not read sideways and the photo must be vertical with the top being towards the point and the bottom the butt of the tang.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Steve I feel the same way about it as you, I would have been all over it if the condition was better the sword had a some nicks in and stains on the blade, the other side of the scabbard had a dent and some surface rust/Paint loss and it was missing a couple of the spacers around the tsuba. Also as you can see it is missing the sarute. I would of like to of had it for the right price but after seeing the condition it made me want to wait and get a better example. They had a proxy bid left at $800 so they set it in at that and matched my friends in house bid and they also charge 15% on top of that with sales tax and buyers premium so he was in it at $920 when it all said in done. Mr.Coleman it makes me feel a little bit better to know that it is a factory made blade and not a smith made one. I will let the auction house know about how the characters on the nakago are read and should be photographed. I really liked the sword but felt like it would have been better to spend a few more $100 and get a better example? Thanks for your replys Bob and Steve. Thanks, Robert

I almost forgot to tell you I picked up a nambu large trigger gaurd type 14 this past week, so that helps ease some the pain of not getting the sword. I will try to post some picks later today or tomorrow in the firearms section.

?

Quote by TNcollector View Post
    I almost forgot to tell you I picked up a nambu large trigger gaurd type 14 this past week, so that helps ease some the pain of not getting the sword. I will try to post some picks later today or tomorrow in the firearms section.
    That`s great Robert , every cloud has a silver lining i will look out for your pics !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks Alan I just started a new thread in the firearms forum. Cheers, Robert

?

when i got mine at auction , i looked for red rust on the tang with large charaters