Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Type 99 Japanese Gask Mask

Article about: Just picked this one up today from a dealer at the local show. He's had if for a year now with no takers so I was able to talk him down by a 1/3rd. I see these priced all over the place from

MAP
    ?

Default Type 99 Japanese Gask Mask

Just picked this one up today from a dealer at the local show. He's had if for a year now with no takers so I was able to talk him down by a 1/3rd. I see these priced all over the place from the $90's (fair condition, no bag) to close to $500 (which by the way is absurd and maybe why they are still listed)

It is in absolutely MINT all matching condition. Fully pliable/flexible. No rips or tears. all paint on the strap fasteners remains.

I'm pretty sure it is a type 99 but may be a Type 1 (Model A). (They look quite similar).

There are two configurations. From what I have seen the majority of these masks came with a separate canister and hose but this version has the canister directly attached to the mask. These masks were issued to both the Army and civilians.

Came complete with Bag. However the bag is unique. It has a snap closure, while all pictures I have seen have a button closure. The label on the front is slightly different being vertical. I've seen this on others but most have a rectangular label that is horizontal.

The label also has the remains of another paper label unfortunately lost over time....

Any help interpreting the Kanji is greatly appreciated.

This will go well next to my rare IJN Navel Landing forces mask.

Any and all comments welcome.

Enjoy!

Michael

Type 99 Japanese Gask MaskType 99 Japanese Gask MaskType 99 Japanese Gask MaskType 99 Japanese Gask MaskType 99 Japanese Gask MaskType 99 Japanese Gask MaskType 99 Japanese Gask MaskType 99 Japanese Gask MaskType 99 Japanese Gask MaskType 99 Japanese Gask Mask
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Nice find !!
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

very nice purchase Michael indeed,don't see these everyday,well done Bud...............

MAP
    ?

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Nice find !!
    Thanks. Not rare, but mint! And it will look good next to this....

Type 99 Japanese Gask Mask

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

nice find michael

Rod
    ?

Hi Michael,

Really fine piece!

It's a Model A Type 1 civilian version, the military MA T1 has two straps on top of the head like the 95 and 99 types. Has everything to do with how snugly the mask fits the face and one strap apparently didn't do the job for soldiers.

IMHO this model belongs in a good IJA gas mask collection in spite of being civilian because it's the forerunner and a close relation of the final army mask.

Regards, Rod

Oh, and it appears it's dated 1940. Sho 15.
    Last edited by Rod; 02-28-2015 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Adding info

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rod View Post
    Hi Michael,

Really fine piece!

It's a Model A Type 1 civilian version, the military MA T1 has two straps on top of the head like the 95 and 99 types. Has everything to do with how snugly the mask fits the face and one strap apparently didn't do the job for soldiers.

IMHO this model belongs in a good IJA gas mask collection in spite of being civilian because it's the forerunner and a close relation of the final army mask.

Regards, Rod
    Thanks Rod. I wasn't quite sure but glad you cleared it up. From my limited research, there was little info as to what distinguish what the differences were.

Doesn't bother me at all that it's a civilian mask. Still war related and in great shape.

Michael

great bit of info there rod i would of thought this was army issue myself ,i have a civilian mask but it still display's well,michael if you dont mind me sharing it here ,if not ill delete mate Type 99 Japanese Gask Mask

MAP
    ?

Quote by James C View Post
    great bit of info there rod i would of thought this was army issue myself ,i have a civilian mask but it still display's well,michael if you dont mind me sharing it here ,if not ill delete mate Type 99 Japanese Gask Mask
    No problem James. Post away. Anything you may have.

I like the set up. What model is it?

many thanks michael your a gent it would seem the civilian population wore both types of masks similar to yours with single or double crown straps so perhaps it was the same for the military too my example is designated a civilain type 2 mask (modification D) from circa 1940's and looks to be made form a rubberised canvas ,ive heard they are fairly uncommon especially here in the uk anyway cheers james Type 99 Japanese Gask MaskType 99 Japanese Gask Mask

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast