Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Type 99 Japanese Gask Mask

Article about: Just picked this one up today from a dealer at the local show. He's had if for a year now with no takers so I was able to talk him down by a 1/3rd. I see these priced all over the place from

MAP
    ?

Thanks James for posting these pics and never mind a thread being hijacked when it adds to the discussion...or humor

I actually saw these pics last night as I was researching a bit more. I did not however notice that they were wearing both types. All I have read so far is that this model was worn by both military and civilians with no indication if one population type wore the double strap and the other wore the single strap version

I would probably agree with Rod, that the double strap was more suited to the military but I would not doubt that the military also wore the single strap version on occasion.

Either way, a fine discussion and analysis. Hopefully this thread will help others in the future. (Wish the Mods could change the title....to the correct type.

what confuses me is that I have found 2 or 3 "Army Surplus" websites selling these for $400 to $500 and a few old ebay posts selling from $90 on up. Would like to know the true value. I paid close to $100 which I thought was good given the condition.

Btw...what type of cap is that on your mask. I've never seen that emblem but will admit I haven't looked.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

thanks michael for your understanding ,im not discounting what great info rod has provided but you just never know for certain so have to agree with you too on its possibe army usage ,the cap i have to admit is not IJA but an indochina field cap

MAP
    ?

Interesting. Will have to research a bit the indochina caps. Looks neat.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Rod
    ?

Ok Guys, here it is from Augustin Saiz book,

. Michael, your gas mask is Model A, Type 1 for civil defense with the single strap on top, illustrated by an early 1937 example with a long respirator hose. Caption " The mask was adjusted with five straps, clearly insufficient to ensure complete tightness."

Next item is the 'Improved Model A, Type 1'. Caption, "The progression of the war in China and the opening of the Pacific front forced the army to distribute civilian gas mask models, with the identical designs and functions of their military counterparts". This is the six strap improved model, the bag is also identical to the military ones but with a snap button closure.

So civilian in origin but used by the army on all fronts. Hope that helps guys, I probably muddied the waters by not calling both models civilian and frankly being vague on that point myself.

Best, Rod

MAP
    ?

Thanks for the spoon feeding Rod. Great help.

But there is a follow up question. So I have the earlier 5 strap civilian version but the bag has the snap closure which is for the "improved" military version. Not a post war mix and match given the matching numbers on bag and canister.

Eitherway, it's a nice mask and bag combo and one I would not hesitate to buy again.

Thanks for all the help. I have to look for that book too.

Michael

Rod
    ?

Hi Michael,

If you mean the bag in the pics at the top it's not the same as the later bag but that's because the canister attaches directly to the mask as best I can tell. If there's a respirator hose involved the bag is bigger to accommodate the canister full time, more like the "bread bag" in size. James posted a pic with young women wearing the same masks, one of them clearly has the bag in question with the hose disappearing into it. Is that helpful?

Best, Rod

MAP
    ?

What I meant is the that the quote from the book, notes that the bag of the improved version had a snap closure. It think I have that bag but not the improved version of the mask.

If I'm messed up with my thinking just let me know LoL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2